[SOLVED] Should I upgrade my GTX 1070?

Replicah

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013
Hello!

I have recently bought a new CPU; The Ryzen 7 2700x paired with 16 GB of DDR4-3200 and an Gigabyte Aorus X470 motherboard.

I have an Asus GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5. I play at 1440p @ 165 hz. Now my graphics card is struggling when going on high/ultra in most newer games (like Apex Legends).
Would it be wise to upgrade the GTX 1070 to a better one?
  • I want to keep playing @ 1440p, run most games on max settings and have a range between 60 - 165 fps constantly.
  • Yes, I use Gsync and I have a Gsync monitor.
  • I don't have the funds for a RTX 2080 or RTX 2080 super.

Would love to hear your opinion in this matter!

Thank you so much!

Solution
Most newer games have specific scenes or as you said when the action starts that the FPS will drop significantly. That is caused by poor/bad optimisation (like in the latest Assassin's Creed games), or bad GPU drivers.
Yes, even latest drivers may have performance issues that's why I prefer to stick for some months with a specific driver that I know I have good performance with.
Another thing to take account of, is if it's online game. Those games can be affected by your internet speed, server status, too many players for the server to handle etc... You will see drops there as well.

CS series are a bit older and budgetish PSUs. The PSUs can be affected by age degradation so I would suggest to buy a newer model when you get your new...
I don't have the funds for a RTX 2080 or RTX 2080 super.
2070 Super then. There are no cards other than 2080 Super and 2080Ti that can handle 144 FPS in 2k on max settings. Even those will struggle in some.

There are 3 options:
  • Stick with 1070 and save some more to increase your budget
  • Buy the best you can afford now and be satisfied with less FPS or with lower settings
  • Wait for newer gen of GPUs.
In any case, make sure your PSU can handle your GPU (needs to be a quality one, instead of a quantity one)

Replicah

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013
2070 Super then. There are no cards other than 2080 Super and 2080Ti that can handle 144 FPS in 2k on max settings. Even those will struggle in some.

There are 3 options:
  • Stick with 1070 and save some more to increase your budget
  • Buy the best you can afford now and be satisfied with less FPS or with lower settings
  • Wait for newer gen of GPUs.
In any case, make sure your PSU can handle your GPU (needs to be a quality one, instead of a quantity one)

Hi Dotas1,

Thanks for your reply. I was also thinking about the RTX 2070 super or a used GTX 1080ti. I have a Corsair CS650m 80 plus gold power supply.
I want to play with max settings and stable frames. It doesn't necessarily have to be 144fps. As long as I can play on max settings with a decent fps. Right now I am playing at max with 60 fps and throttling down to 50s when action comes in. And that is something I would like to avoid. Ofcourse I can turn down the settings for a more stable fps. But what I want is a high quality image and a great gameplay experience.

Do you think the RTX 2070 PLUS can deliver that?
Would love to hear your thoughts on that

Most newer games have specific scenes or as you said when the action starts that the FPS will drop significantly. That is caused by poor/bad optimisation (like in the latest Assassin's Creed games), or bad GPU drivers.
Yes, even latest drivers may have performance issues that's why I prefer to stick for some months with a specific driver that I know I have good performance with.
Another thing to take account of, is if it's online game. Those games can be affected by your internet speed, server status, too many players for the server to handle etc... You will see drops there as well.

CS series are a bit older and budgetish PSUs. The PSUs can be affected by age degradation so I would suggest to buy a newer model when you get your new GPU.

A 1080ti is almost on par with a 2080. That being said, you will get better performance with a used 1080ti than with a 2070Super. But for me that's the problem. I wouldn't want to buy a possibly 3+ year old GPU that who knows how it was used by the guy before me. 2070Super is newer, has warranty and supports newer technologies.
If you can find a somewhat new 1080ti which still has 1-2 years warranty that would be awesome though. Don't forget to swap the PSU for this beast of a card.

Solution
A 2070 SUPER should offer very similar performance to a 1080 Ti in today's games, and as pointed out, it has some newer hardware features that will likely give it an edge in future games. I wouldn't consider a used 1080 Ti with limited or no warranty coverage unless it were priced substantially lower.

Replicah

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013
Thank you all for the great reply's.
I have made up my mind:

• I am going to buy a nice used GTX 1080 Ti. They are really a good deal in my country. Between €350 - €450.
  • I did a PSU calculator and the program concluded that I need atleast 587 watt for everything that I have in my case. I am going to stick with my Corsair CS650m and if I need to upgrade it I will. First want to see if it runs smoothly.

-
You've possibly chosen a monitor that really requires a 2080Ti to run well, IMO...
Well, I am very glad with my monitor so I am going to stick with it nonetheless. It has cost me over €600,-.

Thanks again for all the great messages!

Best regards,
Leon