[SOLVED] Should i upgrade my gtx 970

Triple955i

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2013
Hello everyone, i was recently playing wolfenstein new colossus. I have the setting on ultra. Just recently i have been getting warning

“The video driver has run out of dedicated video memory. Please lower the profile and restart the game to ensure stability and performance”

its been fine until last light. What should i do ? I know i can bring the setting down to a lower setting

should i upgrade ? If so what should i look at to buy. I have a mini itx which takes a full size graphics card.

any advice is appreciated thank you.

Solution
The 1080ti is a great card, but it is too much for your PSU, and most likely, your budget. The 1660ti is roughly GTX 1070 like performance, if I remember correctly.
Up to you. You can probably turn your settings to high and be ok for a while. If I remember, I've seen videos on YouTube where they recommend playing on high vs ultra anyway because you don't lose much detail but gain a bit in fps.

If you intend to upgrade, what kind of budget do you have and what power supply?

Reactions: Triple955i

Triple955i

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2013
Up to you. You can probably turn your settings to high and be ok for a while. If I remember, I've seen videos on YouTube where they recommend playing on high vs ultra anyway because you don't lose much detail but gain a bit in fps.

If you intend to upgrade, what kind of budget do you have and what power supply?
Hi thank you for you reply, am not sure on budgets at the mo so maybe £300 would the max

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
According to his signature : silverstone sfx-l 500w
I really need to learn to read sigs, LOL

That said, I don't know much of Silverstone - though a very quick search seems to indicate it's a reasonable PSU.

But - I'd agree with @Remeca and @logainofhades - trying to go high instead of ultra, and see if that solves the problem without much quality loss.

Reactions: Triple955i

Triple955i

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2013
I really need to learn to read sigs, LOL

That said, I don't know much of Silverstone - though a very quick search seems to indicate it's a reasonable PSU.

But - I'd agree with @Remeca and @logainofhades - trying to go high instead of ultra, and see if that solves the problem without much quality loss.
Ok i will try the high setting, i always thought ultra was the setting to be on lol

Triple955i

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2013
Given your budget, and PSU, I would probably stick with something like a 1660/1660 Super/1660ti. If you decide to buy, I would read up on some 1660 super reviews, as it is the newest of the 3, so you can get a good comparison, and decide which one you are willing to spend money on.
Are they quite the 1660 ? i was looking the Strix 1080ti ! I will take a look at them too. I will upgrade if my current one cannot cope. Thank you again

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I use the pc in my living room its a samsung 48” tv its a hd tv
Alright, so if it's an HD, then I assume 1920x1080 resolution? And I'm pretty sure then you're maxed out at 60Hz. So, a 1080Ti would be a complete waste, as your screen cannot display more than 60 fps. A plain 1660 (not Super and not Ti) would be plenty.

As for power supply recommendations, see the first link in my sig.