[SOLVED] Should i upgrade my GTX960 2GB and maybe CPU? or is a new whole new pc a better idea?

Joris_vl

Prominent
Feb 4, 2020
Hi,

I'm new to tom's hardware (i hope this is the right forum for this question) and also new to upgrade pc parts and things, that's why im aksing for you help.

I bought my pc 3,5 years ago. I didn't build it myself. A store build it for me. I can play games on low/medium at 1080p and get 60fps or more at most games. but some i get under 60 fps at low/medium settings. I would like to play at higher settings or/and get more fps. I'm thinking about upgrading the GPU because it has 2gb vram which isn't that much for gaming anymore. The CPU might need an upgrade too (maybe i7?). But my mother board only goes till 6th generation. I dont know if this might be a problem. And is upgrading my ram to 16gb gonna help? Or maybe i should just build a whole new system. What do you think the best option is? I will list my pc specs below:

• GPU: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
  • CPU: Intel Core i5 6400 @ 2.70GHz
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2133-8gb (2x4gb)
  • MOTHEBOARD: ASUS B150M-A/M.2 (LGA1151)
  • PSU: Corsair CX650M
  • CASE: Corsair Carbide spec-01, blue LED
so in short should i upgrade only GPU or more parts?

ps. if you need any more details or have questions, feel free to ask!

edit: im from the netherlands

Solution
CPU: AMD RYZEN 5 3600
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 KO ULTRA
MB: ASRock B450M Steel Legend
RAM: OLOy 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4
PSU: SilverStone Essential Series SST-ET650-G 650W
SSD: Silicon Power Ace A55 2.5" 1TB
HHD: Seagate BarraCuda ST1000DM010 1TB
CASE: LIAN LI LANCOOL II

Total with taxes and shipping: €1.323,51

You might be able to get better deals on your end because you are familiar with Netherland stores.

This is a rock solid build that would beat the breaks off your current set up. You could also save money and get it under budget by reusing your PSU and case but, thats up to you.

johnsoner13

Respectable
Best to go with a new system. Even if you did upgrade your CPU, there wouldn’t really be a benefit if you got an i7 because you can’t overclock on your board and that’d be a waste. Specify a budget for a new PC and you can be helped further by me or others.

hutchl

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2014

You might be able to get better deals on your end because you are familiar with Netherland stores.

This is a rock solid build that would beat the breaks off your current set up. You could also save money and get it under budget by reusing your PSU and case but, thats up to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: John Chesterfield
Solution

Joris_vl

Prominent
Feb 4, 2020

Thank you so much. Sorry for responding so late. I have looked in to this build and its great. I have one question. should i go with the stock cooler from AMD or is it best to get a better and a more silent one. Or is this one goood enough and not too loud?