Should I upgrade my i5-3570k to an i7-3770k

Sep 30, 2018
First of all i would like to say that i can get i7-3770k for 100$ plus 6 months of warranty.

I think that i7 Hyper-threading will be best choice for my current works, 3d modelling, animation, rendering(via CPU for now). Even if it's 30% boost

If i don't go with OC, is it good to buy i7-3770 for 80$ (plus 6 months of warranty) and upgrade over i5-3570k (which i bought long ago, and didn't OC at all. Which is shame)

My specs:

z77 extreme4
i5-3570k (stock cooler)
2x4GB DDR3 2400Mhz (dual channel) (i will definitely replace 8GB for 16GB)
GTX 960 1GB
Thermaltake Smart SE 630W

Solution
Take a close look at the recommended and best hardware requirements suggested by the applications you will be (or are) using. You might discover that an i5 is indeed quite sufficient.

What you gain from having an i7 may be questionable Possibly very little. Then you are out both a workable i5 along with $100 that could be used to add RAM or an SSD.

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe your current system components and how they are performing.

Changing from i5 to i7 may not be at all beneficial if, for example, there is some other limiting factor.

(Also: take a look at the vendor's current pricing for i5's. He may be making money on your i5 plus the additional $100 you are giving him.)
Sep 30, 2018

Well, it's very popular site for used things in my country. And the seller is trustworthy. I will give him my i5 for i7 plus 100$.

Ralston18

Titan
Clarify: you give him the i5 and he gives you an i7+$100?

Or is it your i5 + $100 to him for the i7?

Need to be sure about the details....

Next step is to quantify the performance increase that you expect to gain via the i5 to i7 upgrade.

May be for nothing if some other component becomes a bottleneck.

Not being negative or critical per se: simply looking to objectively find some value in the deal or other end benefit to you as the result of the trade-in.

Or at least help you work that out. And there may be other comments and suggestions posted. Fine with me.

Sep 30, 2018

I will give him i5 + 100$ for i7, i didn't explain it properly.

Ralston18

Titan
Take a close look at the recommended and best hardware requirements suggested by the applications you will be (or are) using. You might discover that an i5 is indeed quite sufficient.

What you gain from having an i7 may be questionable Possibly very little. Then you are out both a workable i5 along with $100 that could be used to add RAM or an SSD.

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe your current system components and how they are performing.

Changing from i5 to i7 may not be at all beneficial if, for example, there is some other limiting factor.

(Also: take a look at the vendor's current pricing for i5's. He may be making money on your i5 plus the additional $100 you are giving him.)

Solution