[SOLVED] Should i upgrade my i5 9400f?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 8, 2019
I have an i5 9400f and an AMD 5700xt, should I upgrade my CPU to i5 9600k?
I just wanna play Red Dead 2 on max settings @60FPS 1080p.

Last edited:
Solution
9400f and 9600k are the same cpu, except for the ability to OC. Same IPC, same threads, same bandwidth same everything realistically.

You'd be trading Nike tennis shoes for Adidas tennis shoes, thinking that's going to improve your running speed. It really won't. You'd need running shoes instead. Preferably with spikes. That stands a good change of improvement.

You'd need to go higher, 9700k/9900k to see any sort of improvement due to Lcache size, thread count, clock speeds etc and even then the improvement may not be as large as you think or hope, it'll depend entirely on the game code, what it uses, how it's optimized, does it take advantage of stuff.

8 cores is better than 6 cores, only if the software uses it. If the software...

logainofhades

Titan
What resolution? Not knowing the multi-threaded nature, of the game, it is hard to determine if the 9400f will be adequate, for that game. I do know that the 6 core i5's suffer from frametime variance issues, in modern AAA titles, that can take advantage of more than 6 cores. Given the recommended is an i7 4770k, or a Ryzen 1500x, it appears that it will be a fairly multi-threaded title. How much, remains to be seen, until actual game benchmarks are released.

Reactions: mgeorge00747

rodrigoxm49

Great
Oct 13, 2019
I have an i5 9400f and an AMD 5700xt, should I upgrade my CPU to i5 9600k?
I just wanna play Red Dead 2 on max settings @60FPS 1080p.
You will probably play easily at 60FPS even on max with this RIG. I think you shouldn't bother to upgrade your 9400F, specially with a 9600K. It would be a very few step if you're not a overclocker. Your next step should be at least 8700k or 9700k. But I think you will not need it.

Wait for the launch anyway, but minimum requeriments is 2500k (a really old 4/4 CPU). I think you will be fine.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
9400f and 9600k are the same cpu, except for the ability to OC. Same IPC, same threads, same bandwidth same everything realistically.

You'd be trading Nike tennis shoes for Adidas tennis shoes, thinking that's going to improve your running speed. It really won't. You'd need running shoes instead. Preferably with spikes. That stands a good change of improvement.

You'd need to go higher, 9700k/9900k to see any sort of improvement due to Lcache size, thread count, clock speeds etc and even then the improvement may not be as large as you think or hope, it'll depend entirely on the game code, what it uses, how it's optimized, does it take advantage of stuff.

8 cores is better than 6 cores, only if the software uses it. If the software only uses 4 cores, then 6 or 8 doesn't matter. Then it'll be down to IPC, throughput, bandwidth, Lcache , clock speeds etc to make up any difference in ability.

Reactions: mgeorge00747
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS