Question Should I Upgrade my i7-7700K?

halo35boy

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
Currently use an i7-7700K OCed to 5 GHz, but I recently got an RTX 2080 TI card. I mainly play BFV and I’m getting 70-80 FPS at 1440P Ultra settings. This drops to 40-50 FPS in the firestorm in its BR mode.

I’ve looked up benchmarks for this GPU for BFV and it seems I can get a lot more FPS than I’m getting right now. It seems my CPU is bottlenecking my system. But do you guys think it’s worth it to upgrade to something like the i9-9900K or should I stick with what I have for a littler longer until the next best thing comes out?

Before I opened your thread, I was thinking to myself, "Not unless you have an RTX 2080 Ti." And then you mention BFV and that is a very CPU intensive game when you play multiplayer. I would say yes, the i9-9900K would be worth it. Hopefully Intel doesn't undercut you in 4 months with a monster CPU or some brand new tech for the same price. But, the 9900K will still be a monster CPU for the next few years. Best gaming CPU on the market right now. I will be surprised if AMD 3000 can beat it in gaming. I'm not expecting that though.

halo35boy

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
Hopefully Intel doesn't undercut you in 4 months with a monster CPU or some brand new tech for the same price.

So it might be better to wait a few months just in case Intel makes a move then?

Also, let’s say I do pucrchase an i9-9900K in the coming months, what motherboard would you recommend? I currently have an ASUS Z170E.

Do you have RTX reflections enabled in that game? Just wondering, since those are known to cut into performance quite a bit, and would almost certainly make your performance more graphics-limited than CPU-limited, even with a 2080 Ti.

Also keep in mind when looking at benchmarks that professional reviewers will typically test the somewhat less-demanding single-player mode rather than multiplayer, to allow the same test to be repeated multiple times with minimal variance between runs.

So it might be better to wait a few months just in case Intel makes a move then?

Also, let’s say I do pucrchase an i9-9900K in the coming months, what motherboard would you recommend? I currently have an ASUS Z170E.

No matter what something new will always come our way and many and many 8gen and 9gen cpu can run our games as fast and the new ones coming this next next year will be really good but the other cpu can do the job so no matter what happens there always going to be something better.

halo35boy

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
Do you have RTX reflections enabled in that game? Just wondering, since those are known to cut into performance quite a bit, and would almost certainly make your performance more graphics-limited than CPU-limited, even with a 2080 Ti.

Also keep in mind when looking at benchmarks that professional reviewers will typically test the somewhat less-demanding single-player mode rather than multiplayer, to allow the same test to be repeated multiple times with minimal variance between runs.
I do not have RTX enabled. Achieving the cited FPS would be a dream for anyone right? Also, I did not consider the possibility that benchmarks might be only in the single player. I did look at YouTubers like LevelCapGaming or JackFrags and they seem to achieve 140+ FPS with an i9-9900K and RTX 2080 TI if I am not mistaken.

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
since you wont be needing an upgrade on your GPU my take on your situation would be to just upgrade now since intel's next lineup of CPUs most likely wont be coming out nearing the end of this year.

but if you could wait, wait till intel/amd release their new lineup and chose from there then youd have the best for at least 8 more months after your purchase.