[SOLVED] Should I upgrade my I7 8700K to an I9 9900K or AMD Ryzen series?

madne$$

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2012
Hi members,

Just curious if its worth upgrading my CPU "I7 8700k" OC to 4.7ghz to an I9 9900k Same socket Eight core or go with AMDs beautiful Ryzen series models ?

I do streaming sometimes and I have 24GB Memory, Nvidia 1080 waiting to upgrade to AMDs new range coming out soon.
Hype for Cyberpunk 2077 :)

Thanks for reading and replying in due time.

Appreciate you :)

Madne$$

Solution
It might be the same socket, but there's a considerable difference between the 8700k and 9900k in power draw, for very little gain. Unless you have a higher grade motherboard, it's not going to do well with the VRM's with a 9900k/s/f.

Also consider your monitor. Granted the 9900k will show higher fps in a benchmark, but that's only in a benchmark, for many setups the fps minimums are already usually higher than the monitor refresh, so you'll get zero realistic gains.

My personal upgrade routine is run a pc until the pc can no longer do the job required. It all boils down to your definition of 'satisfactory' results.

To me, honestly, there's absolutely no reason for upgrade on the cpu. It's still a very viable contender and well...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
See how the system performs first. Maybe sort out your ram so you're in full dual channel. Mixing ram though is a crapshoot, might work, or go set of 2x 16GB.

Imo, your system is good enough to last you till DDR 5 platforms arrive. But up to you if you feel the need, might not be that big of a difference.

If you're just gaming I'd say stick with your current platform and CPU. Few games are scaling up to enough cores and threads to make getting the 9900k or a high core count Ryzen chip worthwhile at this time. If you're doing lots of productivity work and want to say reduce render times or plan on livestreaming with a CPU encoder, then a CPU upgrade would be more beneficial to you.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It might be the same socket, but there's a considerable difference between the 8700k and 9900k in power draw, for very little gain. Unless you have a higher grade motherboard, it's not going to do well with the VRM's with a 9900k/s/f.

Also consider your monitor. Granted the 9900k will show higher fps in a benchmark, but that's only in a benchmark, for many setups the fps minimums are already usually higher than the monitor refresh, so you'll get zero realistic gains.

My personal upgrade routine is run a pc until the pc can no longer do the job required. It all boils down to your definition of 'satisfactory' results.

To me, honestly, there's absolutely no reason for upgrade on the cpu. It's still a very viable contender and well able to support any gpu in any resolution and get satisfactory results, even more so in the higher resolutions like 1440p and 4k where the cpu fps is less demanding than the gpu output, and thats without considering the 3000 series gpus which have direct rendering ability and bypass cpu usage on some files, making games even less cpu demanding.

Solution

madne$$

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2012
All your answers are really awesome man, Great knowledge and advice People :)

The extra RAM is running ok even tho not in "Dual Channel Mode". All 3 are running 3200mhz without "Intels XMP mode << That sucks.

I think most of you are right in terms of wait till the PC can't handle it anymore with serious Frame loss and Stuttering issues. So far Streaming with a HEX core is doing good , I originally had the I7 4790K

Motherboard - https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-X-HERO/

Updated to lateest Bios :)

gtarayan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
I will not comment on the utility of upgrading for the sake of upgrading. The pleasure from paying for, accepting delivery of, unboxing, sniffing, fondling, installing, and operating new hardware is priceless in itself. Thus, given unlimited budget, buy everything that gives you that pleasure. With a constraint in mind that one can spend about $1000 on PC hardware every three years or so, I'd say your 8700k CPU is potent enough to support the recently released Nvidia and the forthcoming AMD GPUs at 2k and 4k resolutions. If you end up keeping your system, what I would do is ensure you run your RAM in dual channel mode at the highest speed your system can remain stable.

TRENDING THREADS