[SOLVED] Should I upgrade my i7 920 to 990x for $100?

Apr 5, 2020
Right now I have:

i7 920
6gb ram
rx580 gpu
27" 2k freesync monitor (Yeah I know, i'm living on the edge LOL)

I play wow classic, bf4, cod warzone. Running 2 monitors and a TV and I do notice my computer has been sluggish lately. It could be the ram hopefully. I can finally run call of duty warzone, but I notice my memory is always at 95% and minimum requirement is 8gbs. Luckily, I'm having another 6gb ram shipped to me for $20 in a week. I just got the new gpu rx580 for $90 and surprisingly can run 2k resolution now, even on cod warzone. Just with warzone it's lagging occasionally most likely due to ram constraints.

I saw that there is a i7 990x for $100 and is wondering if that would boost up anything and if it would worth it? I'm definitely on a budget and this computer has served me well. I am just wondering exactly what the difference would be if I upgrade my cpu to the 990x? I want to make the best out of what I have =)!

Solution
Slow it down, mate! Wait and see if the new memory will get along with your system first.
Adding/mixing memory is always a gamble; it doesn't always work without issue.
When you get the new kit, run Memtest86 free version: https://www.memtest86.com/
The results should be error-free, and without system hangs or crashes. It does take a few hours, so run it overnight.

As for i7-920 VS i7-990X: somewhere in the range of 10-20% faster.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Slow it down, mate! Wait and see if the new memory will get along with your system first.
Adding/mixing memory is always a gamble; it doesn't always work without issue.
When you get the new kit, run Memtest86 free version: https://www.memtest86.com/
The results should be error-free, and without system hangs or crashes. It does take a few hours, so run it overnight.

As for i7-920 VS i7-990X: somewhere in the range of 10-20% faster.

Solution
It will help a little but nothing significant.

I had a 920 then a 960 in my x58 platform. It’s just getting too old to run games smoothly.

I upgraded to a Ryzen build, massive difference. My old x58 is retired from gaming but still running strong.

Makaveli

Splendid
Right now I have:

i7 920
6gb ram
rx580 gpu
27" 2k freesync monitor (Yeah I know, i'm living on the edge LOL)

I play wow classic, bf4, cod warzone. Running 2 monitors and a TV and I do notice my computer has been sluggish lately. It could be the ram hopefully. I can finally run call of duty warzone, but I notice my memory is always at 95% and minimum requirement is 8gbs. Luckily, I'm having another 6gb ram shipped to me for $20 in a week. I just got the new gpu rx580 for $90 and surprisingly can run 2k resolution now, even on cod warzone. Just with warzone it's lagging occasionally most likely due to ram constraints.

I saw that there is a i7 990x for $100 and is wondering if that would boost up anything and if it would worth it? I'm definitely on a budget and this computer has served me well. I am just wondering exactly what the difference would be if I upgrade my cpu to the 990x? I want to make the best out of what I have =)!

I just upgraded from a i7 970 rig but with 12GB of ram and same rx 580.

I was able to play most games at 1080p at High settings fine on that rig.

BFV
ApeX
SFV
Batman Arkham Knight.

However the Rig is getting long in the Tooth for I/O with only SATA2 on board and lacking modern instruction sets for the CPU.

The Two extra cores will certainly help I originally had a 920 before. However right now since that system is almost 10 years old its a stop gap solution. I would start to save for a new build in a year if possible after grabbing those parts.

bohemond1099

Reputable
Oct 6, 2019
I have a 980X and the improvement over the 920 isn't really worth it. Here's some benchmarks I ran the past few days with i7 920@3.8Ghz and i7 980X@4.5Ghz.

VdhkwgW.png

oUAwLs5.png

O2t1Q3s.png

g7H1AEr.png

QuBKZoO.png

CPesuK8.png

Now all these games are very, very playable with a 980Ti, but AC Origins and Odyssey cause some lag, due to unsupported instruction sets.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS