[SOLVED] Should I upgrade my laptop? new laptop has better processor but less memory

xhobbesx

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
Hey all, I am a day trader and I had my laptop for about 4-5 years now. I've been thinking about upgrading since I have noticed my laptop not being as fast.

I have 5-7 windows applications open at a given time and chrome with another 5-7 tabs. The laptop I want to upgrade to has a better processor that has nearly double the cores/threads but only half the physical memory. Will I see a performance boost if I upgrade?

Thank you.

Please see details below:

I currently use HP x spectre 360
My current processor is Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz, 2904 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s).
My current memory is 16gb

Thinking about upgrading to the Samung galaxy book flex
The processor is Intel® Core™ i7-1065G7 Processor
The memory is 8gb

A hasty search online showed that the Samsung laptop:
Packs more CPU cores (double vs HP)
Supports more threads at once (double vs HP)
Has higher operating frequency (double+ vs HP)
Provides increased memory bandwidth

While the HP laptop has a higher base frequency.

----------------------

1. What is your budget? 1500

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 13-14 in. don't want larger than 14 in.

3. What screen resolution do you want? minimum 1080p

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? portable

5. How much battery life do you need? not important

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? Low

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Need to be able to handle 5-7 applications with 5-7 tabs in chrome.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? minimum 256gb.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? As long as it can function

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. Currently considering Samsung galaxy book flex

13. What country do you live in? USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. Need USB-c and usb3 ports. The laptop screen needs to be able to rotate 360 degrees

Solution
I have 5-7 windows applications open at a given time and chrome with another 5-7 tabs.

In that case you should be looking at a minimum of 16GB of RAM, so that Samsung you're looking at (with just 8GB of non-upgradeable RAM) is highly unlikely to give you a performance boost.

Dell's New Inspiron 13 7000 2-in-1 would be an alternative for you to consider and its CPU is significantly more powerful than the Samsung's.

Secret-Squirrel

Reputable
Sep 12, 2020
I have 5-7 windows applications open at a given time and chrome with another 5-7 tabs.

In that case you should be looking at a minimum of 16GB of RAM, so that Samsung you're looking at (with just 8GB of non-upgradeable RAM) is highly unlikely to give you a performance boost.

Dell's New Inspiron 13 7000 2-in-1 would be an alternative for you to consider and its CPU is significantly more powerful than the Samsung's.

Solution

xhobbesx

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010

ah ok, thanks for the response and suggestion.