Should I Upgrade my laptop

Rqq

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015
Hello, I own an Ideapad 120s, It's fanless and has a Pentium N4200 as CPU, I'm quite happy with it for my needs.
Now I have the chance to buy a better version of it, the Ideapad 130S because it's on special offer, I would pay 100 less than it's original price.
This laptop pratically identical to mine beside the color and the processor.
It sports an Pentium N5000, now since both are fanless (I could also buy an Asus with same CPU and a fan, but it has an old mecchanical HD instead of SSD and its's 50 bucks more expensive), they can't reach max performance, but It's ok.
Now, my question is, do it worth's upgrading ?
Will my everyday experience much better with this new processor ?
I use it to browse, watch videos, listen music, write and for light gaming (Like indie games, and most work well).
Like will the browser be much more responsive ?
Will things like movies, browser, Java, Flash games and google maps street view and so on be much smoother ?
Will games work much better ?
Or the improvements will be negible ?
I mean every day real life usage, I'm not much interested much in benchmarks.
Thx for any answers.

Seaweed Monster

Honorable
Jun 7, 2014
Will my everyday experience much better
- Simply put, yes the difference will be noticeable using the Idealpad 130S - being it has 4GB+ RAM and an SDD. The Pentium processor is far better for multitasking and overall performance, browser-based games will perform better due to the extra processing and integrated graphics power the Pentium N5000 has.

Is it worth upgrading?
- It's difficult to answer. If we are not taking into account the budget available to you and we are only comparing the Ideapad 120S and 130S, then benchmarks and comparing performance will tell you, Yes. If you're happy with it and it meets your needs, then No.

Rqq

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015
"Simply put, yes the difference will be noticeable using the Idealpad 130S - being it has 4GB+ RAM and an SDD. "

Mine has too 4Gb of Ram and an SDD, as I said its identical beside the processor, and since I find mine it quite responsive and I also like the model and its setup, I was considering to buy also this one.
So in the end only the processor and the color changes, actually its this the reason that stops me a bit from buying it, I will pay for just an CPU uppgrade, cause as from what thet told me the integrated graphics have almost the same performance.
So I dont want spend money, and than discover that most of the performance come from the SSD, Im used to old mecchanical Hard Disks.
So maybe the "snappy" feeling comes just from that.
But if that new N5000 is really much better and it will increase much my day by day experience, then I would go for it.
The price is 300 instead of 400.
I checked some benchamrks, but they dont tell me much, in some the N5000 is better in others they are on par, in average it says that the New Pentium performs about 30% better, but again no idea of what that means in real life experience.
My friend has an i3 and from the benchmarks it should perform better than my Pentium N4200, but it feels slower (Not considering 3D games, he has an dedicaded gpu).
For this I dont take too much in consideration benchmark results.

Seaweed Monster

Honorable
Jun 7, 2014
Mine has too 4Gb of Ram and an SDD
Ah I see, you did not mention you already had an SSD, which does change things, as the Idealpad 120S specifications range from a 32GB eMMc to a 128GB SSD.

As I mentioned before, if we are only comparing the Ideapad 120S and 130S, then yes, the 130S is technically faster. However, seeing as you already have an SSD and it happily meets your needs, then it's not worth upgrading 👍.

I would not spend 300 to get a low end system that is one step over another low end system. N5000 looks to be about 30% faster than the N4200, so it should be noticeable if you pay attention to how long things take, but you won't be amazed at the difference.