Should I upgrade my monitor or GPU first?

MrTinchuri1

Reputable
Dec 13, 2014
I'm running a GTX 750 ti Asus OC and some terrible Benq 1440x900 monitor. I'm planning to upgrade to a 970 and an Ultra-Wide LG 25UM55-P. The only problem is I can only upgrade one now and the other around April or May. So what should I upgrade first?

Solution
I guess that depends on what you're planning on using it for - if you game separately from web browsing (which most of us do), then I think you would be better off getting a nice 27" 1080p monitor. The Ultrawides only make sense if your daily use is to have netflix or youtube up while web browsing in the other half of the window. 970 is a great card and should be able to handle most of the games on the market with little to no effort. You'd be better off going dual monitors with 2 1080p displays with that card in my opinion
If you upgrade the monitor first, you will have lower FPS and lower settings, so you wont notice the upgrade right away.
If you did the graphics card first, you would easily be able to max out anything you throw at it.

I would go 970 and a monitor later, because you will get the most experience from it right away.

game junky

Distinguished
I guess that depends on what you're planning on using it for - if you game separately from web browsing (which most of us do), then I think you would be better off getting a nice 27" 1080p monitor. The Ultrawides only make sense if your daily use is to have netflix or youtube up while web browsing in the other half of the window. 970 is a great card and should be able to handle most of the games on the market with little to no effort. You'd be better off going dual monitors with 2 1080p displays with that card in my opinion

Solution