Question Should I upgrade my monitor?

ThatSourMelon

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
I currently have a Dell s2719dgf, a 27-inch FreeSync 1440p 155hz 1ms TN panel monitor. I’m a gamer, but I’m not a super hardcore gamer, and I don’t really like how flushed out the colors are, and the monitor itself has a decent ghosting problem, I’m willing to downgrade to a 1080p if that will get me better color, plus I have an Rx 580 (8gb) and that doesn’t really do 1440p well while trying to get 144fps. I will probable upgrade to an AMD high-end graphics card when next gen comes out, so I don’t know if that will be a problem in the future.

First off, the monitor I have is only ~8 months old, idk the exact age, but I didn’t know I would have this many issues with it. The monitor retails for $425+ now, and I got it for $300. There is no scratches on it, it’s not even that dusty, I took it out of the box and set it on my desk and it’s been untouched, except for me to wipe it with a cloth once in a while, I even kept the original packaging with no visible damage on it. Givin that, and how I see the same model sold on EBay for $250+ I might be able to sell it at the price I got it at, maybe even a little more because of that price spike, but idk for a price, I replaced the HDMI it came with for a DisplayPort I can ship it with, how much would you say it’s worth?

All I’m really looking for is a monitor with good image quality at at least 144hz that I can game on. I was looking at IPS and VA panels, I heard they both have better color than a TN, but is there too much of a difference between VA and IPS? VA is cheaper, but how much better is the image quality on an IPS, and do I need it? My current monitor has a 1ms response time, will I be able to tell the difference if I get a monitor with a longer response time, maybe up to 4ms? I was hoping to get a monitor with some of the newest technologies, like FreeSync premium pro, but do many games support HDR? I mostly okay games like Minecraft, Overwatch, and am going to try some other Triple A games. Also a curved screen would be nice, but I don’t need something like that or the special FreeSync unless it’s really worth it. I don’t have a budget, but I want to keep it reasonable, so like $400 or $500. This is one of the only monitors I’ve owned, so I don’t know a whole lot about how much of a difference other panels are, so I’m a little lost on what to pick. I’m fine with buying used as long as they aren’t too messed up.

RyzenNoob

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
Why would you upgrade after 8 months? It's better to do some research before diving in

With a refresh rate of 155hz I wouldn't bother upgrading. Plus, it's been out only a year, so my thought process would to stick with it, or, if you're that desperate to get an "upgrade", lump it to ebay. Unless you want to keep it for another build

ThatSourMelon

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
Why would you upgrade after 8 months? It's better to do some research before diving in

With a refresh rate of 155hz I wouldn't bother upgrading. Plus, it's been out only a year, so my thought process would to stick with it, or, if you're that desperate to get an "upgrade", lump it to ebay. Unless you want to keep it for another build
Thx, but I didn’t do too much research before purchasing that monitor, I just thought: “1440p 155hz? Sign me up!” My gpu can’t handle it too well, it has a ghosting problem, and I just don’t like the look of TN panels. I probable would just deal with it, but I realized that it’s in almost perfect condition and I could probable sell it for around the price I bought it on EBay or something.