Question Should i Upgrade my motherboard and CPU to be able to use DDR4 or just more DDR3 Ram

Jan 10, 2020
Hey, so I installed a new PSU and GPU and my system is not running smooth well not system related more like my PC while playing games is not at the point where it should be whit my GPU and I know my RAM is way too low and my CPU is Old and the same goes for my motherboard but after my last upgrade it should run at least whit out stutter and now i dont know if the stuttering while playing games comes from my low ram or from my CPU because games like rainbow and stuff are running smooth and stuff like borderlands 3 and guild wars 2 runs whit a lot of stutters and it takes a lot of time until they kind of smooth out but even than i some time have frame drops and now I'm thinking if I should just do a full upgrade which would involve upgrading CPU, Motherboard, CPU Cooler, New Case, new Windows 10 and new DDR4 ram bla bla bla which would be a problem since im still kinda broke after the GPU upgrade and such or should i just slap in 32gb DDR3 Ram sticks and use those. Now if some one whit a lot of knowledge knows what's better if I should just safe my money and wait, or upgrade my ram and see if it runs better because i dont want to throw my money against the wall and then have 2 DDR3 sticks lying around which i can't do anything with and still have to upgrade. Thanks in advance.

System Stats:

CPU: IC I5-4590

Motherboard : MSI B85G41 PC mate

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT

PSU: Corsair TX 850M

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance Dual Kit DDR3-1600 CL9

At this point I would not invest any money in obsolete RAM. Quad core CPU’s with only 4 threads are also a problem now in many games. I do not play the games you mention but I have a second system with a i5 4670k overclocked to 4.3GHz and it struggles in several newer games. It has 16GB RAM but the cpu in some games is stuck at 100% across all cores and the experience is very choppy. At this point I’d recommend getting a new cpu, motherboard & RAM. I feel any upgrade on your old platform will be disappointing and you will find yourself wanting to upgrade again.

Jan 10, 2020
At this point I would not invest any money in obsolete RAM. Quad core CPU’s with only 4 threads are also a problem now in many games. I do not play the games you mention but I have a second system with a i5 4670k overclocked to 4.3GHz and it struggles in several newer games. It has 16GB RAM but the cpu in some games is stuck at 100% across all cores and the experience is very choppy. At this point I’d recommend getting a new cpu, motherboard & RAM. I feel any upgrade on your old platform will be disappointing and you will find yourself wanting to upgrade again.
Yeah thats what i thought.... well then i have to make a list whit what i need, any ideas what would be a nice addition to my 5700XT like should i use a AMD CPU or Intel because I'm still not so sure if i go this time for AMD instead of Intel to match my GPU and it would be nice to know if it would make any difference to have the same manufacturer for CPU and GPU because the i heard the new AMD CPUs are so amazing i thought of switching entirely to AMD.

And thanks for the reply btw ;D

Yeah thats what i thought.... well then i have to make a list whit what i need, any ideas what would be a nice addition to my 5700XT like should i use a AMD CPU or Intel because I'm still not so sure if i go this time for AMD instead of Intel to match my GPU and it would be nice to know if it would make any difference to have the same manufacturer for CPU and GPU because the i heard the new AMD CPUs are so amazing i thought of switching entirely to AMD.

And thanks for the reply btw ;D
Depends on the budget. For Intel I would not consider an i5, they are already being pushed very hard in some games due to only 6 threads. I recently looked at an i7 9700k versus a 3700X and in the end chose the 3700X as I feel it’s a better long term buy.

The 3700X with a good quality B450 board (careful with 3000 series BIOS compatibility or ensure you have flashback feature) is a great setup. Then add a minimum of 2x8gb 3200mhz RAM.

For i7 9700k you want a decent Z390 motherboard. Again with 2x8gb 3200mhz or better.