Should I upgrade my new Asus Z170 Pro Gaming`s BIOS?

BladePocok

Honorable
Aug 2, 2016
Hi,

https://www.asus.com/en/Motherboards/Z170-PRO-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/

Latest BIOS update is the number 1904,released 2 weeks ago. Im planning to install a fresh Win10 via USB stick to a M.2 SSD. Is there any reason for what I should upgrade the basic BIOS version? Will it be better?

Solution

Bios updates can help with instability issues and sometimes to address newer USB devices.
If your system is running fine then a Bios update is not recommended and there are risks.
Check 1904 for changes from your version.

Bios updates can help with instability issues and sometimes to address newer USB devices.
If your system is running fine then a Bios update is not recommended and there are risks.
Check 1904 for changes from your version.

Solution

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
With the newer lines of mobos it's a good idea to keep the BIOS updated, they are constantly updating for new hardware and to increase performance. Also when you look at new available versions, keep in mind they generally only list one or two items of the update, almost every updates lots of updates for l the various sets of DRAM alones well as updates for drive, GPU, compatibility.

BladePocok

Honorable
Aug 2, 2016
Hm,the Asus website says "system improvement",which is good basically,but I dont know if I really need that or not. Im doing the regular installation,and if something says there is a problem,I might reconsider choosing an USB flash BIOS upgrade. It is easy,right?

Yes its easy BladePocok
Use a USB and download the Bios file from ASUS support.
Enter Advanced mode in Bios and go to Tools section and choose EZ flash 3 utility.
Insert the USB with the Bios file and then press tab to switch to Folder field.
Use the up/down arrow keys to select the Bios file and press enter and it will update.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum

Yes and easy, I prob flash 4-5 rigs a week minimum. People don't keep up with the tech and are still scared off from the old days. I think last time i had a board brick was about 2010

BladePocok, you reported MeanMachine's posting asking "what is this".

Seems to me, that "this" in tandem with Tradesman1's posts, is the answer to the question you raised. It is better to start off with an up-to-date BIOS and it is best to put it in before any other changes are made.