[SOLVED] Should I upgrade my PC?

Feb 25, 2019
I've had my PC for around 4 years now and I felt like it was probably time for an upgrade. My current specs are here: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/15012844 and I was wondering what might be letting me down in terms of performance and what I could upgrade that is worth the money. While I am happy with how it performs, I just want a general upgrade so it will last longer and is noticeably faster in general.

I have a friend that suggested to get new RAM (which in turn would require a new motherboard and CPU). He suggested getting an Asus Prime B350-Plus motherboard, 2x8gb corsair vengeance RAM (3200MHz) and an AMD Ryzen 7 2700 processor. Is this good advice to do or should I do something else?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
The 4670k is a solid cpu, all though it only has 4 cores, it has very good single and quad core performance. So, with that said, the thing that will impact quality of life the most will be a ssd ,like rgd1101 mentioned, though I would suggest the mx500 over the bx500 as the mx500 has a longer warranty and should be more durable in the long run.

lol, I can't even imagine going back to using a hard drive anymore after using ssd's.

The next upgrade would be the gpu, the r9 280x was a good gpu, but the 3gb's of vram is a bit low and your cpu can accommodate up to a gtx 1060 or rx 580 easily, perhaps even a gtx1070/1660ti at a stretch.

When the day comes that the lack of cores is a major setback, you can just transfer over the gpu and...
The 4670k is a solid cpu, all though it only has 4 cores, it has very good single and quad core performance. So, with that said, the thing that will impact quality of life the most will be a ssd ,like rgd1101 mentioned, though I would suggest the mx500 over the bx500 as the mx500 has a longer warranty and should be more durable in the long run.

lol, I can't even imagine going back to using a hard drive anymore after using ssd's.

The next upgrade would be the gpu, the r9 280x was a good gpu, but the 3gb's of vram is a bit low and your cpu can accommodate up to a gtx 1060 or rx 580 easily, perhaps even a gtx1070/1660ti at a stretch.

When the day comes that the lack of cores is a major setback, you can just transfer over the gpu and drives if need be.

Solution
Feb 25, 2019

When the day comes that the lack of cores is a major setback, you can just transfer over the gpu and drives if need be.
Thanks for this advice! I've ordered a 1TB MX500 and will probably get a GTX 1060 soon. I suppose a CPU upgrade will happen at a later point, thanks!

No point in buying a GTX1060 now that the GTX1660Ti is out. Also, if you wait a few more months, AMD's Navi GPUs will be out by then.

Normally people go for a 500GB SSD for OS/programs/games, and mechanical hdd for stuff like videos/pictures/documents/music etc etc to save cost, but that's fine that you completely replaced your hdd.

Do you have an aftermarket CPU cooler or the stock Intel one? Overclocking your CPU (or at least checking to make sure your mobo is automatically applying the max 3.8GHz turbo frequency to all cores) would be a good stop-gap to keep your CPU performance as high as possible. I've got my i5-3570K running at 4.2GHz at nearly stock voltage (1.12V stock, I'm at 1.15V)

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2019
No point in buying a GTX1060 now that the GTX1660Ti is out. Also, if you wait a few more months, AMD's Navi GPUs will be out by then.

Normally people go for a 500GB SSD for OS/programs/games, and mechanical hdd for stuff like videos/pictures/documents/music etc etc to save cost, but that's fine that you completely replaced your hdd.

Do you have an aftermarket CPU cooler or the stock Intel one? Overclocking your CPU (or at least checking to make sure your mobo is automatically applying the max 3.8GHz turbo frequency to all cores) would be a good stop-gap to keep your CPU performance as high as possible. I've got my i5-3570K running at 4.2GHz at nearly stock voltage (1.12V stock, I'm at 1.15V)
I just have the stock cooler and have never even considered over clocking. I'm unsure how to do this and I've heard there can be some drawbacks, such as life-span

Yes, the K series exist as potential for overclocking and it doesn't usually reduce longevity,but I wouldn't overclock unless you end up with a gtx1660ti or better as at that point there's be potential for bottleneck(very slight tbh). The reason I suggested a 1060/rx580 is one can sometimes get one for ~$150, while the 1660ti is $280. But for right now, the ssd will be a pleasing improvement, and when the op feels the need/wants a gpu upgrade, he can come back to the forums and ask what would be suitable once again.