Question Should i upgrade my PSU first?

danipoz

Honorable
May 31, 2015
So basically i got an i5 3470 + 16gb ram, with a recently bought GTX 1060. I got a Raidmax Cobra RX500AF 500w bronze 80+ , everyone says its crap but it stills works after 6 years. I dont really have a budget to buy a new PC so i want to upgrade my CPU to a i7 3770k but should i upgrade my PSU first? In my country there is not a lot of choice all are crap but i was looking at Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro 550W Semi-Modular, is that psu good?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Practically any units from Raidmax are all poor quality.

If it's been working fine for 6 years, all the more reason to replace it. PSUs have a shelf life, and often it's not if, it's when they break. And the problem with poor quality PSUs, is when they break, they can commonly take out other parts with them. Just see point 1 on this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...when-selecting-parts-for-a-custom-pc.3510178/

So the last think you would want to do is upgrade your system for a poor PSU to take them all out. The Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro is definitely a good quality PSU, and a huge step up from the Raidmax unit, you could rest knowing your system should be stable and safe with the Antec EW.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
What about the Seasonic M12II Evo edition 520W 80+bronze. it is a little bit cheaper but is it gooD?
Not so much anymore, was good originally, but it's not fantastic now. It will be substantially better than the Raidmax, but still not good enough to be recommended. Honestly, the last thing to go cheap on, is the PSU.

The cheapest (or usually cheapest) anyone could really recommend that's still good quality is a Corsair CX 2017 series such as:
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ Corsair)
Total: $64.99