should I upgrade my PSU from 760w to 860w?

Pachuca

Prominent
Jul 5, 2017
Should I upgrade my PSU to corsair ax860 or greater? ALSO, is it safe to buy a refurbished PSU or used?

Here are my system specs:
x99 platform
cpu: i7 5960x (uses about 160w with 4.4Ghz @ 1.2v OC)
ram: 4x8gb DDR4 2400mhz
gpu: gtx 1080 ti (uses about 250w)
4x 1tb HDD
3x 500gb SSD
1x m.2 NVMe
6x 140mm fans
PSU: Corsair AX760w plat.

Solution

Depends on the source. Factory refurbished, yes. Used, I'm not touching, unless I personally know who I'm buying it from. There ain't no odometers in PSUs, so you have no idea how they've been treated.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

The very small difference in efficiency is something to consider when sizing a PSU that you don't own, not for the marginal upgrade of one. Each 1% change in power efficiency on a PC running at 700W (you're not) for 8 hours a day saves about 20 kWh a year, or $2-3 depending on where you are in the US.

Adding a second 1080ti, then it becomes something to consider. Though not worth it unless you actually do it and a little confused why you left out the most important bit of information to answer your question.

Pachuca

Prominent
Jul 5, 2017
getting the 2nd gpu is theory for now, i wanted to know if my current psu is enough because I used several PSU calculators online and they all gave me mixed results. One even suggested getting a 1000w PSU. Also I wanted to know if refurbished PSU or used is safe to buy.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Depends on the source. Factory refurbished, yes. Used, I'm not touching, unless I personally know who I'm buying it from. There ain't no odometers in PSUs, so you have no idea how they've been treated.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
3 things I won't buy used. Hdds, psu's and gpus. Because as said, there's no odometer and no telling if the milage is highway or off road. Count it as gospel that any seller claiming a K cpu has never been overclocked is lieing through their teeth.
Big difference in ways of refurbished. Many times it can mean something as simple as Amazon repackaging a returned item because it was wrong or didn't fit, just as many times that's what the returner says but reality they messed something up and freaked out and rma'd, meaning your refurbished item is doa from the start. Factory refurbished is just that, and tested for working or they can't sell it by law as anything other than parts/not working. Best chance of getting a fully working product is factory refurbished, used or ma&pa refurbished is chancy at best.

Psu calculators are bunk. They use generic algorithms to come up with answers, do not take reality loads like max gpu + cpu + storage + optical + fans at 100% never happens into consideration and usually will be sponsored by companies trying to sell you on a psu that's more than what you really need, just to make a bigger profit. For a single gtx1080ti, you can easily get away with a decent 650w psu, so your 760w is plenty, you'll not actually use 160w + 250w etc unless both the cpu and gpu are running 100%. Average gaming loads on your pc will be somewhere around 400-450w at best.