Should I upgrade my PSU?

Mike12431

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
So I'm thinking of getting rid of my old hunk of junk and building myself a mini-itx system with a 4790k and a gtx 980. My current computer is a 2120 with a gtx 680 being powered with a 500w PSU. I know nobody likes Raidmax PSUs, but apparently this one is fairly good, and I've had it for about a year and a half without any issues.

Is it safe to keep my PSU with the new build? should I bump it up to 600/650w gold?

Solution

If you are looking to overclock your 4790k alot, get something higher than a 550w. However if you don't plan on overclocking a lot (in which you should get the 4790), a Good 550w from XFX would be just fine. However, the Seasonic one I recommend is about the same price and is a 620w modular. Generally I recommend getting more than you need (not by a huge amount though) so you can have more room.

If you are looking to overclock your 4790k alot, get something higher than a 550w. However if you don't plan on overclocking a lot (in which you should get the 4790), a Good 550w from XFX would be just fine. However, the Seasonic one I recommend is about the same price and is a 620w modular. Generally I recommend getting more than you need (not by a huge amount though) so you can have more room.

Solution