[SOLVED] Should I upgrade my PSU?

Un-Touch_ableCW

Prominent
Feb 14, 2019
HI

I have a Intel I5 3570k Cpu and have just ordered a Rx580 nitro plus GPU. I currently have 450w PSU (cheap brand) Is it worth upgrading? I was thinking the corsair 750w (TX750M) at £90 or EVGA GQ 850W at £85.

I was thinking of buying an over powered one so If I rebuild my system in 3-5 years the PSU should be fine.

I'm relatively inexperienced and use my machine for games, work and leisure

Thanks in advance

Solution
I'm not sure which Rx580 Nitro Plus you ordered (There's a silent version and a Boost version), but the highest usage would be around 227W - 237W. Combined with the power usage from everything else during hardcore gaming, I'd say your cutting it close. With your GPU and CPU your already around 327W and that isn't including any other components of your PC. At the end your probably around 395W with all your components (if they are newer parts) so yes I would recommend a new PSU especially considering yours is a cheap brand. I would go for something like an EVGA 650W, I don't think you'll need a 750W or 850W, but hey, if you want to get a higher wattage in case you upgrade other components in the future, all power to you.

acecreator26

Commendable
Mar 9, 2018
I'm not sure which Rx580 Nitro Plus you ordered (There's a silent version and a Boost version), but the highest usage would be around 227W - 237W. Combined with the power usage from everything else during hardcore gaming, I'd say your cutting it close. With your GPU and CPU your already around 327W and that isn't including any other components of your PC. At the end your probably around 395W with all your components (if they are newer parts) so yes I would recommend a new PSU especially considering yours is a cheap brand. I would go for something like an EVGA 650W, I don't think you'll need a 750W or 850W, but hey, if you want to get a higher wattage in case you upgrade other components in the future, all power to you.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS