[SOLVED] Should I upgrade my PSU?

OBTA13

Commendable
Jul 14, 2019
So I wanna update this old PC with a 1050 ti GPU and some 4x4 1333 ram and I'm wondering if I should upgrade my PSU also? Maybe 500w just to be safe. The current PSU is like 10yrs old. Here's my old HP specs and the tower is a mid ATX. If I should upgrade what specific PSU will fit this mid ATX tower? The link is to a picture of the current PSU View: https://i.imgur.com/fyoG80m.jpg

Last edited:
Solution
No question you should upgrade, the above is a poor quality unit - and poor quality = risk to your other components.
Especially if it is also 10 years old, the last thing you want to happen, is for it to blow and take out other components with it.

Remember, it's not just about the overall wattage, it is the 12V rail(s) that power your key components, not just the overall wattage.

A good quality 550W would be MORE than enough.

A good quality 550W should do your rig perfectly fine. PSUs are size standardised, so any should fit unless you're talking small form factors.

I will only ever recommend good quality units - as the last component you should scrimp on is the PSU:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
No question you should upgrade, the above is a poor quality unit - and poor quality = risk to your other components.
Especially if it is also 10 years old, the last thing you want to happen, is for it to blow and take out other components with it.

Remember, it's not just about the overall wattage, it is the 12V rail(s) that power your key components, not just the overall wattage.

A good quality 550W would be MORE than enough.

A good quality 550W should do your rig perfectly fine. PSUs are size standardised, so any should fit unless you're talking small form factors.

I will only ever recommend good quality units - as the last component you should scrimp on is the PSU:
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£78.11 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £78.11
10 YEAR WARRANTY

Power Supply:
EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£83.40 @ Alza)
Total: £83.40
7 YEAR WARRANTY

Power Supply:
Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£64.96 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £64.96
7 YEAR WARRANTY

Power Supply:
Corsair - RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£78.99 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £78.99
10 YEAR WARRANTY

Power Supply:
Corsair - CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£54.99)
Total: £54.99
5 YEAR WARRANTY
The Corsair CX is really the most budget friendly but still decent enough quality unit, however they don't really compare to the other PSUs stated above. So if you want my opinion, opt for the Seasonic or the Corsair RMx as you get 10 year warranties for both, and they are both excellent quality.

I have avoided items like the be Quiet!, Antec, and Cooler Master higher ranges as their mix of models is very variable and often don't offer as good value for money as the above. Thermaltake are often the same and make more worse units than better ones. If you are UK based, all of the above are easily obtainable.

Solution
A quality 450w psu would be more than enough for that setup. I'd rather get a better quality lower power rating psu, than a cheap n nasty higher watt rated psu. Find a good review of the power supply your looking at before purchasing, make sure it doesn't use cheap capacitors if you want it to last.