[SOLVED] Should I upgrade my RAM? and GPU?

Jul 5, 2020
My system:

MB: Gigabyte GA-X99P-SLI
CPU: i7-6950X
RAM: 4x16Gb Corsair Vengeance CMK64GX4M4A2666C16 @2666Mhz
GPU: Radeon Pro Duo 2x4Gb
DISK: Samsung 950 Pro 512 Gb NVMe (PCIe 4x 8.0 GT/s)

What can I upgrade that would give me the best bump in performance?

I was thinking of getting a better set of quad-channel DDR4 ram. This is the Passmark score I get for the current configuration:
https://ibb.co/5Rpg4X7

What model could I replace it with, without changing the motherboard, and get the best performance boost? Gigabyte claims that my MB supports 3400MHz memory modules...

The other thing I would change is the GPU of course, for example replacing it with a Radeon RX 5700 XT or a GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Solution
Personally you have a good setup and on the memory front a lot of RAM perfect for your modelling and rendering work and the uplift with faster RAM might not be as much as you think, especially for the wholesale change to DDR 4 3600. I would look at the RAM at another time when you change CPU and motherboard. Save your money or if you can find a buyer for your ram at a good price to offset the cost of new low latency DDR4 3600 ram, then okay...

As to the GPU side, yes a 5700XT or RTX 2070 would be a big improvement that you would feel immediately on gaming and with say a RTX GPU you can use that for help on rendering..

Be warned that we are not far away from new launches from Nvidia RTX 3000 series and of course the new ADM GPU's as...
Jul 5, 2020
In terms of what? Gaming? Photoshop? What are you doing that needs more performance?

I use this machine for mainly for 3D modeling and rendering (3DS Max), which benefits from any improvement in single/multi-threaded cpu performance (which I cannot improve without changing the motherboard), faster ram, faster hd and better gpu. I also use it for some gaming.

Anyways my question was a bit rhetorical, as with the constraint of not changing motherboard there isn't much that can be upgraded: GPU, RAM and HDD. I really wanted the community's opinion on whether it's worth upgrading the RAM with the best that my MB can support, and what would that be.

Last edited:
Personally you have a good setup and on the memory front a lot of RAM perfect for your modelling and rendering work and the uplift with faster RAM might not be as much as you think, especially for the wholesale change to DDR 4 3600. I would look at the RAM at another time when you change CPU and motherboard. Save your money or if you can find a buyer for your ram at a good price to offset the cost of new low latency DDR4 3600 ram, then okay...

As to the GPU side, yes a 5700XT or RTX 2070 would be a big improvement that you would feel immediately on gaming and with say a RTX GPU you can use that for help on rendering..

Be warned that we are not far away from new launches from Nvidia RTX 3000 series and of course the new ADM GPU's as well.

But if I had to buy now, it would be the RTX 2070 Super..that's me though...

Solution