[SOLVED] Should I upgrade my RAM or upgrade to an SSD on my Acer Aspire A315-51?

Pythonbites

Reputable
Feb 19, 2017
Hello. I use my laptop for general use. No gaming except for roblox. It performs pretty sluggish even on high performance power plan when plugged in. Should i buy an SSD or an extra 4 gigs of ram for my system? I see 100% disk usage alot in Task Manager and i commonly see 80% of ram usage, but i haven't ever hit the pagefile i don't think. Thanks for any help!

Solution
Definetly an SSD the ssd will also impact the RAM because a disk will transfer information to the RAM. Also an ssd makes your whole system faster. Your pc will almost never hit 100% Ram usage because windows will compress some data in order to save some RAM. When you have an SSD that compress and de-compressing will go much faster then later on you can get some extra RAM.

ebosss03

Reputable
May 1, 2018
Definetly an SSD the ssd will also impact the RAM because a disk will transfer information to the RAM. Also an ssd makes your whole system faster. Your pc will almost never hit 100% Ram usage because windows will compress some data in order to save some RAM. When you have an SSD that compress and de-compressing will go much faster then later on you can get some extra RAM.

Solution

Pythonbites

Reputable
Feb 19, 2017
You didn't post the laptop model. Also, if it is old, it might requie thermal paste change. If it overheats, it performs bad.
I've been using this laptop for about 6 months and it hasn't lost any performance. It doesn't get hot either. It's an Acer Aspire A315-51-3879. Sorry if you needed the last numbers.

Pythonbites

Reputable
Feb 19, 2017
Could you possibly recommend any SSD models? I use my laptop pretty frequently and i usually only do small reads / writes. I don't do any heavy work like video editing (Obviously). I want it last a long time and want it to be efficient on power since my laptop doesn't have the best battery life. I'm okay with sacrificing some write/read and random write speed since it would still be miles better than a mechanical hard drive. If you do, thank you!