[SOLVED] Should i upgrade my ram?

Jan 20, 2022
So I've built my PC back in early 2019 with very little knowledge about PC components and thus made some dumb mistakes.
For example, I have ordered one 16GB ram stick instead of two 8Gbs and been using my ram in single channel ever since.
Now I'm thinking whether it would make sense for me to upgrade with a new kit, or rather just get a second ram stick of the same model im using right now. I'm mainly using this Pc for gaming and light work, so would I get any noticeable increase in fps?
If it makes more sense to just get a fully new 16GB Ram Kit, which one should i go for? If i remember correctly, my motherboard does support ram speed up to 3466.
My PC Specs:

ZOTAC GTX 1070 mini (not overclocked)
Ryzen 5 2600 (not overclocked)
MSI B450M Mortar titanium.
1x 16 GB GSKILL Aegis 2400 CL 15-15-15-35 Ram

Solution
I actually meant getting a second ram stick that is the exact same as i have right now.

Firstly yes you should absolutely upgrade your RAM, 1 stick is very sub optimal. Geofelt is quite right, it's always best to buy memory together as part of the same kit because there can be small differences when you buy the same stuff at a later date and of course it was never tested together. Your not even guaranteed it will be made by the same manufacturer (G-Skill don't make the memory chips themselves), and mixing Micron and Hynix for example is usually a big no no.

With that being said if you bought another one, it would probably be made by the same people and it would probably work. I've mixed RAM like this numerous times and never...
I actually meant getting a second ram stick that is the exact same as i have right now.
A second stick, even with the same name, part number and batch will NOT be the same.
The inner workings can be subtly different.
That is why ram is sold in matched kits.
It could work and often does, but if you want more total ram or better speed, buy a matched kit and keep the old as a spare.
Ryzen does respond to faster ram, but, I don't think that is an effective way to get more compute power.
Upgrading to a current gen processor would be better.

If it makes more sense to just get a fully new 16GB Ram Kit, which one should i go for? If i remember correctly, my motherboard does support ram speed up to 3466.
Ryzen systems get really hampered performance width slow ram. Single channel memory mode reduces performance even more.
You get best performance with 3200mhz - 3600mhz ram.
I'd suggest getting 2x8GB or 2x16GB 3200mhz ram kit.

Firstly yes you should absolutely upgrade your RAM, 1 stick is very sub optimal. Geofelt is quite right, it's always best to buy memory together as part of the same kit because there can be small differences when you buy the same stuff at a later date and of course it was never tested together. Your not even guaranteed it will be made by the same manufacturer (G-Skill don't make the memory chips themselves), and mixing Micron and Hynix for example is usually a big no no.

With that being said if you bought another one, it would probably be made by the same people and it would probably work. I've mixed RAM like this numerous times and never had a problem, though I've always used Intel CPU's. Ryzen is more fussy, however at 2400Mhz your less likely to have a problem.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Underneath that heatsink is a pcb with several silicon chiplets on it. You see them in 'value' ram. That's ram. Brand, model, heatsink design, paint job, all pretty much fluff.

Those chiplets are punched from a sheet of silicon. Each sheet has imperceptible differences in composition. It's those extra impurities like copper or carbon, silver, lead, gold etc that will change the Secondary and Tertiary timings.

You can have exactly the same make, model, brand, timings, color, speeds ram, even bought from the same store, same shelf, same peg, one right next to the other and have those 2 kits be totally incompatible. Do not work. Different sheets of silicon. Different impurities.

That's why ram is sold in kits. The factory has thousands of sticks to test with until it gets 2 or 4 or 8 that are all in sync and work together perfectly. Buying 2 kits, whether that's a kit with 1 stick or 8 sticks, You become the tester. You do not have multiple options, just 1 extra kit.

It might work, it might work with adjustments, it might not work at all. The Only Guarantee about mixing kits is that there are no guarantees. Totally pot-luck.

So I've built my PC back in early 2019 with very little knowledge about PC components and thus made some dumb mistakes.
For example, I have ordered one 16GB ram stick instead of two 8Gbs and been using my ram in single channel ever since.
Now I'm thinking whether it would make sense for me to upgrade with a new kit, or rather just get a second ram stick of the same model im using right now. I'm mainly using this Pc for gaming and light work, so would I get any noticeable increase in fps?
My PC Specs:

ZOTAC GTX 1070 mini (not overclocked)
Ryzen 5 2600 (not overclocked)
MSI B450M Mortar titanium.
1x 16 GB GSKILL Aegis 2400 CL 15-15-15-35 Ram
Run your stuff and watch the ram usage.
If your using all the ram get a 2x16GB@3200 kit.
If your not using all the ram get a 2x8GB@3200 kit.

TRENDING THREADS