[SOLVED] Should I upgrade my RX 5700XT?

Dec 16, 2019
Hi, I'm very interested in streaming Cyberpunk 2077 the day it releases, and I currently have a RX 5700XT, a Ryzen 5 3600, a Gigabyte B450m Gaming motherboard and 16GB of memory.

While streaming The Witcher 3 my PC has stutters and can't handle constant 60+ frames, and I realize 2077's recommendations are a bit higher. I can seamlessly stream games like Phasmophobia and Sea of Thieves though.

I would like to know what would be a good upgrade to safely run the game. Would a RTX 3070 be worth the upgrade? Would a 3080 have issues with my current processor? Or maybe it would not arrive in time due to the limited supply. One thing I know is that NVIDIA has a great tool for streaming so I think making the transition should help me regardless of the choice.

Solution
5700xt should be perfectly fine for CB and witcher, personally i used to run w3 with 4770k and still the gtx 980 im using, 60 fps constant but no streaming, still, i believe the 3600 is a good cpu for the task at hand, unless you're at 1440p, its get a bit rough on graphics side, if 1080p, thats puzzling...

none the less, for 1080p, yea 3070 is the best bet, if 1440p and up, might as well just get a 3080 if they will ever be available before the 4xxx is out.
If you can afford the upgrade, I'd say a big maybe.

The performance is obviously, better. and with AMD having the worst drivers in existence, I'm rooting for you to go team green
But, the performance isn't astronomically better, only around 60% higher.

I'd suggest selling your current rx5700XT now, before the rx6000 announcement make's it so obsolete nobody will buy it.

5700xt should be perfectly fine for CB and witcher, personally i used to run w3 with 4770k and still the gtx 980 im using, 60 fps constant but no streaming, still, i believe the 3600 is a good cpu for the task at hand, unless you're at 1440p, its get a bit rough on graphics side, if 1080p, thats puzzling...

none the less, for 1080p, yea 3070 is the best bet, if 1440p and up, might as well just get a 3080 if they will ever be available before the 4xxx is out.

Solution

Balefire

Reputable
Oct 18, 2020
I think you should be ok...

the 5700 should be able to handle the load, though you might be getting a few frames less than what you would be wanting.

so i you really need to get 60+ frames at ultra high res and you got the cash burning a hole in your pocket then go for it... you Will Definitely get an improvement. Is this worth the price? well, that's entirely dependent on you...

As an alternate, and plz do extensive research into this before trying it. you could get a relatively cheap GPU, like a 1030 or something like that to use as a dedicated encoder... so basically what you'll be doing is that your 5700 will be handling the game while the cheaper one would be handling the streaming. (Bare in mind i have never done this and this is basically just knowledge i picked up over the years without any actual practical comparison)

Dec 16, 2019
Thank you for all the answers!

So, the thing is, 2077 requires at least slightly more than TW3 to run, and Witcher 3 absolutely does not run smooth 60+ frames in minimum settings in my specs with a good internet whilst streaming. Should it have been running fine? Could I have installation problems? Drivers and such are fine.

Also @Balefire its a pretty great point to get a dedicated encoder, but unfortunately I can't have a NVIDIA GPU along with my current AMD because of driver issues, and a NVIDIA GPU would be for sure the right option to use as an encoder.