Question Should i upgrade my system ?

Kaitlin Kaschak

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2013
i need some pc upgrade advice from the pros.

im on disability. so i dont get much money to play around with in terms of pc upgrades, example i bought my 3900X on lauch day and it took me from lauch day till 2023 just to have enough moey saved up for a 5000 series cpu anyhow
specs below
asus crosshair 7 hero X470
ryzen 3900x
4x 8 gig teamgroup 3733mhz ddr4 ram
1000 watt seasonic gold rated psu
6700xt sapphire pulse
1tb sabrent rocket nvme drive
360mm cooler master aio
screen res currently 1080p since i got the monitor used for 50$
the question im posing to the group is this:
do i keep my 3900X for a few more years till i can afford to save up for AM5 or do i upgrade to a 5000 series cpu and call it a day

im so torn because part of me says the 3900x+6700XT combo cant max out games the other part of me says the cpu is fine tough it out

i also feel like i need to upgrade because most of my friends have upgraded to either a 5000 series or the new AM5

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I think leave it, 3900x is still very decent. What you could do is get yourself a nice 27" 1440p ips 144Hz monitor with Freesync. Since monitor is a lengthy investment i think you would enjoy your pc more until you decide to upgrade system.

Do you mind posting an image of memory tab from cpuz please. Would just like to check something.

Reactions: artk2219
i need some pc upgrade advice from the pros.

im on disability. so i dont get much money to play around with in terms of pc upgrades, example i bought my 3900X on lauch day and it took me from lauch day till 2023 just to have enough moey saved up for a 5000 series cpu anyhow
specs below
asus crosshair 7 hero X470
ryzen 3900x
4x 8 gig teamgroup 3733mhz ddr4 ram
1000 watt seasonic gold rated psu
6700xt sapphire pulse
1tb sabrent rocket nvme drive
360mm cooler master aio
screen res currently 1080p since i got the monitor used for 50$
the question im posing to the group is this:
do i keep my 3900X for a few more years till i can afford to save up for AM5 or do i upgrade to a 5000 series cpu and call it a day

im so torn because part of me says the 3900x+6700XT combo cant max out games the other part of me says the cpu is fine tough it out

i also feel like i need to upgrade because most of my friends have upgraded to either a 5000 series or the new AM5

Your monitor is your biggest need of an upgrade.

Reactions: boju and artk2219
The 5000 series part should give more fps, but on the other hand, as has been mentioned, if you go to a 1440p monitor you’ll get more of a visual upgrade. Plus at the higher resolution the cpu shouldn’t have to work quite as hard. I imagine as well 5000 series cpus will be available on the used market a while also if you get the upgrade itch. Or you can always go to Intel 13th generation at some point with ddr4.

artk2219

Distinguished
As mentioned, a nice 1440p display would work well with your setup, it still has many years of service ahead of it. It may be worth it if you can get a good closeout deal on a 5800x3d if all you do is gaming. Even that won't make a night and day difference, it'll just top out your gaming CPU performance for AM4, you have a pretty nice rig for now. Here is an article with 4 generations of Ryzen compared, at 1440p they're pretty close. You can use the results for the rtx 3070 since your 6700xt performs pretty much the same as that.

Last edited:

artk2219

Distinguished
@GarrettL @artk2219 can you explain or educate me on why a 1220p display would benefit me sorry im not understanding wouldnt upgrading to a 1440p display cause me to have less FPS in some of my games?
It would, but as you can see in that previous article, not as much as you'd think, that RX 6700xt is a bit overkill for 1080p. The shift to 1440p would let your games look a bit nicer, and shift the load fully to your GPU instead of having your CPU be your limiting factor since the GPU is likely waiting for the CPU to catch up because it's processing data so fast at 1080p. It also gives you the option to lower to 1080p if you need to for that extra performance anyway. What games are you normally playing?

Last edited:
Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
The way it works is basically the video card handles the eye candy, the cpu handles the frames per second. The 6700xt is pretty good as a 1440p card. Keep in mind the 3900x is a few years old now and at 1080p could possibly hold the 6700xt back a hair since the card is likely feeding data to the cpu possibly faster than the cpu can handle it.

Your cpu is likely fast enough that you don’t notice however. Once you bump to 1440p what happens is more load gets put on to the graphics card and the cpu isn’t working as hard, so you get more balance.

But as stated above, 1440p is going to give higher graphics quality and you’ll be able to see more detail than on 1080p.

As far as cpu this guy explains pretty well. I like his channel and he explains pretty well.

View: https://youtu.be/kjzLIcxC0Vs

boju

Titan
Ambassador

I actually wanted to see what they were running at in cpuz. 3733 seems quite high for 3rd gen plus four sticks as well. Not impossible and well done if you were able to set them, with a bit of luck too maybe, but just making sure you actually have enabled docp in bios to get 3733. By default without docp enabled they'd be running at 2133. Considerable performance difference.

Kaitlin Kaschak

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2013
@boju i had issues with my ran when i updated to my current 4603 bios the ram had issues running at 3733 so i downclocked the ram speed to 3600Mhz and set the timings to the same timings the ram would have used if docp was enabled and all seems to be will if you can tell me how to upload pictures on here i can upload the screenshots i took for you of my ram

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, only Dvi does 144Hz. There are dual link DP to Dvi active adapters available but are expensive, 100$ or there abouts.

Imho, a new monitor would do wonders. 1440p on 27" looks pretty darn good and your hardware can easily do over 60fps which you'll notice immediately.

sonofjesse

Distinguished
I had a 3900x and 6700XT, not a bad system at all. I would just keep it and save money for the next build.

However when that being said I upgraded to a 7900x and 4070TI and everything is faster, but was it worth it if you on a super strict budget I don't think so. I was able to sell my 3900X rig for a decent price and then get a MicroCenter deal and several parts used so it helped cut down the costs.

However if you are a fixed income I would 100% keep it, 6700XT/3900 is a great 1080P gaming setup and you should be still playing games very well at this point.

I would personally get a 120hz+ 1080p or 1440p monitor. If you just have to upgrade the CPU get the 5800X3D. It can be had for about 300 dollars. If you need more cores the 5900x can be had for even cheaper and still give a very reasonable performance upgrade.