Should i upgrade my VIdeo card or just upgrade my whole system?

steamfan

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
Hello,

Im looking for a new video card for my custom built PC, im not sure if i should just upgrade my whole system or not. Im looking at the EVGA GTX 460 Fermi.
Price range is high if im thinking of re building my PC

My Computer:

EVGA 122-CK-NF68-T1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard (One Ram slot is broken)

Geforce 8800 GTS SSC

3.0 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

OCZ 700W PSU

3 Corsair ddr2 ram

WD VelociRaptor 150g

24 inch Sceptre screen

All in a Antec Nine Hundred mid tower

Running Win 7 Pro 64 bit

Solution
Even with no over clock if your not in a major hurry I would go with a sandy bridge system you get a better bang for the buck with it over a 1366/I7 system.
There was an issue with the sata controller is why you wont find many out now the fix is already in production and will be available for purchase around april.
You want to do it right and not waste money either this will give you time to peruse some threads on sandy bridge.

steamfan

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011

I plan to play pretty much all the new games that are going to be coming out.

Elder Scrolls skyrim

the new Bioshock game

Dragon Age 2

steamfan

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011

Yea i thought my computer needed to be re-built was hoping she could pull off another year. Since i have you here what mother board And Processor would you recommend. Price range 600 for the CPU 400 for the MB

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Well if we are working with $2200 dollars then we can put something quite spectacular together :).

I suggest you move this over to the New System Build forum section, you'll get much more comprehensive help than just in the graphics section.

galeener

Distinguished
I would wait and build a sandybridge system unless you need one right now.April should give you enough time to plan it all out. P67 M/B.
If its U.S. dollars then you should be able build a really nice machine.
Need some info on if your going to over clock to you want to run SLI down the road?
Do you do anything besides play games such as 3d model or video editing.
Are you going to want an SSD. Maybe Raid?
The more info you give the better build you will get.

steamfan

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011

I have never overclocked before I've read some bad story's of machines frying so im a little scared of over clocking now. lol

Same goes for SLI just without the bad storys

Gaming all the way

I would get a SSD but there still not at the size/price i want them. I would do a raid but i dont think it would do much for a Gaming PC.

steamfan

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011

How would i move im new to posting on Toms hardware. Long time reader first time posting lol

galeener

Distinguished
Even with no over clock if your not in a major hurry I would go with a sandy bridge system you get a better bang for the buck with it over a 1366/I7 system.
There was an issue with the sata controller is why you wont find many out now the fix is already in production and will be available for purchase around april.
You want to do it right and not waste money either this will give you time to peruse some threads on sandy bridge.

Solution

steamfan

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011

Alright ill wait till apirl and look up more on this sandy bridge system. Thanks for the help