[SOLVED] Should I upgrade now?

SirMonkeyV

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
Hello. I have a i5-4590, RX 580 8GB, 16 GB RAM, and 1 TB SSD. My performance in games has been not as good recently. I posted before and some said it could be CPU degradation, while others have told me some other program is probably taking up CPU. My CPU is always around 100% in games. When I look in task manager, the games like GTA V, Overwatch, and Destiny 2 are using the CPU and there is not many other processes using more than 1% CPU. MSI afterburner clocks my CPU at correct Megahertz. My computer isn't unusaeable for gaming, but getting 50 fps in games I should get 80 in is a bit annoying. I would not want to rebuild my entire PC, but just replace the motherboard, CPU, and RAM to save money.

I could upgrade to a Ryzen 5 3600, though I am confused with motherboard because b550 will be coming out. I want the option to be able to upgrade to a high end Zen 3 for cheaper once Zen 4 comes out. However, b550 based on pricing announcements look very overpriced for the features I want. I will keep the motherboard for years, so I want it to be nice. It would be $180 for a motherboard with all the nice features I want, though there is b450 for $120 with everything I want, though they are hard to fins in stock currently. B450 is apparently going to support Zen 3, and neither b550 or b450 will be upgradeable after Zen 3 because AM5 and DDR5 are coming. However, we don't know which b450 will get the BIOS update and if there will be any other compromises. I would also not get PCIE 4.0. I am thinking if I waited for Ryzen 4000, it will become more expensive to upgrade to than upgrading to Zen 2 now because they will be new parts and probably have price increases, and I probably won't want to wait till they get cheaper.

Is it worth it to upgrade now at all? Is it worth it to spend more on the B550 for PCIE 4.0 and guaranteed Zen 3 upgradability, or should I just get higher end board for cheaper with b450 hoping that the board I chose gets the BIOS upgrade? Is there a way to know which ones will get it? I am liking the features of the Gigabyte b450 Auros Pro Wifi. Also, is waiting for the Ryzen 3600 xt worth it? Thank you.

Solution
Thats a choice only you can really amek but I've been recommending 400 series boards and 300 series processors. They will drop in price when Zen4 gets closer to clear out stock.

SirMonkeyV

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
Thats a choice only you can really amek but I've been recommending 400 series boards and 300 series processors. They will drop in price when Zen4 gets closer to clear out stock.
Thanks. Do you think the b450 boards will go back in stock? I am having lots of trouble finding one that is in stock and also has the features I want. They look all out of stock.