Should i upgrade or build new

May 8, 2018
Hello i just started to play my gaming comp again and was seeing what all of you think about my specs and if its worth upgrading or just buy a cyberpowerpc.

If i do upgrade i would be upgrading my cpu and gpu.

This is what im running now

Window 10 64bit
Asus m4a89td pro/usb3
Amd phenom ii x4 955
Radeon HD 6870 series
16gb ram 1600 ddr3
Corsair TX 750w

Do i need to upgrade for aaa games?
Or get rid of the 5 year old comp?

Solution
Whats your budget? What games are you going to play? If budget is small then look below:

If your going to play just Fortnite like most people now seems to, you might be able to pull it off with this cpu / motherboard. I never used AMD cpu but loooking at clock speeds what people are getting with 955 it can (maybe) be done. Im using i7-875k which is 8 years old and even at stock speeds im not close to hitting 100% usage on all cores in fortnite. Updating only your cpu is useless since best cpu for that socket is only 10% faster, overclocking is only way.

Comparison of our cpu:s on stock : https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/AMD-Phenom-II-X4-955-vs-Intel-i7-875K/368vs846

For the latest aaa games, there isn't much on your PC that is up to the task. The problem is your old AM3 motherboard, there are no CPU upgrades for that system which would be good enough. So you're up for a new motherboard and CPU, then there is the problem of the RAM, it's DDR3 so that limits you to +3 year old systems, otherwise you need to replace that too.

Personally, I would sell your old computer for whatever you can get for it, and buy (or build your own) modern gaming PC.

fagetti

Notable
Mar 1, 2018
Whats your budget? What games are you going to play? If budget is small then look below:

If your going to play just Fortnite like most people now seems to, you might be able to pull it off with this cpu / motherboard. I never used AMD cpu but loooking at clock speeds what people are getting with 955 it can (maybe) be done. Im using i7-875k which is 8 years old and even at stock speeds im not close to hitting 100% usage on all cores in fortnite. Updating only your cpu is useless since best cpu for that socket is only 10% faster, overclocking is only way.

Comparison of our cpu:s on stock : https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/AMD-Phenom-II-X4-955-vs-Intel-i7-875K/368vs846

Solution
May 8, 2018
Thanks eveyone for your quick replies!

Ok so i was thinking either building new now with 1k budget or should i get the cyberpower pc with radeon rx 580 and ryzen 5?

Yes it is worth it, as you couldn't build it yourself for that price. However, there is a reason you couldn't build it for that price, it's because they will use the cheapest parts they can....this can become problematic in the future if you want to upgrade as you'll find yourself replacing a lot of the components.

Either you buy a cheap prebuilt and use it as intended (which should be fine), or you build a custom system that you can upgrade in the future (but this won't be cheap).

i you can wait a bit wait for the new rysan cpu and mb to get to those pre build vendors. with the newer mb and rysen you have a mb that be good for two years. amd not like intel and changes the pin out of there cpu and mb to force people into buying new mb when an new cpu comes out. the new amd4 mb will be around till 2020.