Should i upgrade or buy a new rig?

Aug 30, 2018
I'm not sure if i should upgrade my computer or buy a new one, i would prefer to upgrade it. My thoughts are to be able to play on high settings on upcoming games.

My system specs:

CPU: Intel i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00Ghz
RAM: 8 Gb Ram
Graphics card: Nvidia Geforce Gtx 970
SSD: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500 GB
SCREEN: Aoc g2460pf 144hz 1920x1080
FAN: Hyper 212 EVO
POWER SUPPLY: Evga supernova 550 g2

Kind regards Luke

Solution
You are fine with upgrading the GPU. Just wait a bit for the RTX series cards to settle into place and look at what new GPU you can afford. Since you have a relatively small power supply, you will want to make sure you have enough PCIe connectors for your new choice.

You could also consider another 8GB of memory.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You are fine with upgrading the GPU. Just wait a bit for the RTX series cards to settle into place and look at what new GPU you can afford. Since you have a relatively small power supply, you will want to make sure you have enough PCIe connectors for your new choice.

You could also consider another 8GB of memory.

Solution
Aug 30, 2018
Thanks for the advice eximo! So if i get this right, an rtx 2070 could be a good option With a 8 gb ram upgrade as well? And lastly should i consider upgrade to ddr4 from ddr3?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You can't upgrade from DDR3 to DDR4 without replacing the whole system.

RTX2070 is a logical upgrade if the price is right. Remains to be seen how it compares to the GTX1080 (which itself is more than twice the speed of a GTX970). If you can pick up a GTX1080 for $200 less than an RTX2070 though, price/performance is likely to be in favor of the older cards.