[SOLVED] Should I Upgrade? or Buy a New Set of Parts For My Rig?

KaiserPhantasma

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
As the the title goes,looking for experienced advice/s

I know it's pretty dated but should I upgrade? or buy a new one?

These are my currently existing parts

Specs:
Motherboard: MSI Z87 Mpower MAX
Processor: Intel 4670k Processor
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
Graphics Card: MSITwin frozr iii 7970 OC/BE
SSD: Samsung SSD 840 PRO drive128gb
HDD: Seagate barracuda 3tb
RAM: Corsair DDR 3 Vengeance 8x2 1600mhz
PSU: Corsair AX 760 (Platinum Rated)
Case: Corsair 300r

what I want the upgrade/new rig to do:

able to run most if not all 2019/2020 on high/ultra BUT at 1080p-1440p resolutions (yes 4K still ain't cheap in our place not to mention it doesn't have the FPS)
can settle for 60fps but prefer 120fps/144fps

Solution
Sorry got confused with an i7 for that, you could upgrade cheaply to an i7 of that generation as they can still hold themselves pretty well, even against the Ryzen 5 as I know from my 4930K.
I agree the 4790k or similar can still do an ok job but it comes down to price and how long will it hold out before having to upgrade again. I’ve seen the 4790k selling secondhand for £300 which is enough to buy a modern cpu/motherboard/RAM combination of at least equal performance. The new combination will also have an upgrade path. If he can get an i7 for cheap then it’s an option.

Cheese Dripper

Reputable
Jan 5, 2020
As nice as the card is still if you compare it to a gtx 960, it’s still quite old and may not let your i7 go to its full potential. I suggest upgrading the card to something like and RX 570 as it’s a pretty good price to performance card, while the 16gbs of RAM and the rest should be fine. Only upgrade the card if you don’t want to spend a whole lot on buying a new one or upgrading.

As nice as the card is still if you compare it to a gtx 960, it’s still quite old and may not let your i7 go to its full potential. I suggest upgrading the card to something like and RX 570 as it’s a pretty good price to performance card, while the 16gbs of RAM and the rest should be fine. Only upgrade the card if you don’t want to spend a whole lot on buying a new one or upgrading.
His cpu is an i5 with only 4 threads, I was using this cpu up to a year ago and it was struggling back then. Also not sure why you would compare to an entry/mid level gpu from 3-4 generations ago.

Cheese Dripper

Reputable
Jan 5, 2020
His cpu is an i5 with only 4 threads, I was using this cpu up to a year ago and it was struggling back then. Also not sure why you would compare to an entry/mid level gpu from 3-4 generations ago.
Sorry got confused with an i7 for that, you could upgrade cheaply to an i7 of that generation as they can still hold themselves pretty well, even against the Ryzen 5 as I know from my 4930K.

I agree the 4790k or similar can still do an ok job but it comes down to price and how long will it hold out before having to upgrade again. I’ve seen the 4790k selling secondhand for £300 which is enough to buy a modern cpu/motherboard/RAM combination of at least equal performance. The new combination will also have an upgrade path. If he can get an i7 for cheap then it’s an option.

Solution

KaiserPhantasma

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
to be honest if possible it would only be still on the "upgrade" path if possible but if the bottlenecks are really that big even at those low resolutions (by today's standard) guess I have no choice but to buy a "new" rig as another option

note about the 4790k/4670k I can procure them quite cheap (second hand) and won't mind even if they would be the last "possible" upgrade I can ever put in that gen since it'll only be 1080p/1440p @60/120 fps and had a look at em with a possible pairing with a RX 580 (been eyeing this) it'll have <10% CPU bottleneck so I dunno if it'll mean that much or maybe you can suggest other GPUs that can pump those pixels at those settings without going >10% on the CPU bottleneck?

Last edited: