Question Should i upgrade or buy new items?

darknightbacca1

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
Hi i'm wondering what you guys think i should do, i need more perspective,

1 : upgrade my asus prime b450 plus to msi b450 gaming pro carbon ac

2 - upgrade my tx550m to a seasonic 650w prime ultra gold

3 - upgrade my 2x4gb 2400mhz corsair vengeance ram to 16gb kit of 3000-3200mhz ram

(i've got ryzen 7 2700x, gtx 1060 6gb strix oc)

darknightbacca1

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
The only upgrade worthwhile is number 3, getting faster memory. Everything else is pretty much a sidegrade.

What about the motherboard, the msi gaming pro carbon ac has better overclocking potential and vrm's, + built in wifi & bluetooth,

+ reason why psu is there is because when i was testing the voltages with a multimeter, putting the paper clip in it accidently bent / stretched the metal surrounding the pins and i'm unsure whether or not that will damage my psu in the long run or my pc components. otherwise tx550m is highly reliable.

WildCard999

Titan
Well if those motherboard features are what you need then go for it, just make sure to do a clean install of Windows after swapping them out.

As for the PSU I don't know if you damaged it or not but if you do replace it I'd go Focus Gold 650W as it's a excellent quality PSU, 10 year warranty and should be cheaper then that Prime Ultra Gold.

darknightbacca1

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
Well if those motherboard features are what you need then go for it, just make sure to do a clean install of Windows after swapping them out.

As for the PSU I don't know if you damaged it or not but if you do replace it I'd go Focus Gold 650W as it's a excellent quality PSU, 10 year warranty and should be cheaper then that Prime Ultra Gold.

Always judge every psu via the psu tier list https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1045610-new-psu-tier-list/?tab=comments#comment-12402695

the seasonic 650w prime ultra gold is one of the best, the focus gold is mid-range.

and i know the first rule of a pc is don't cheap out on your power supply.

WildCard999

Titan
Always judge every psu via the psu tier list https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1045610-new-psu-tier-list/?tab=comments#comment-12402695

the seasonic 650w prime ultra gold is one of the best, the focus gold is mid-range.

and i know the first rule of a pc is don't cheap out on your power supply.
While most tier list are fairly accurate I wouldn't trust one that puts the EVGA B3 in the same group as the EVGA G3.

7gRW8fu.png

I go by reviews and 3 different B3 PSU's blew durring the OPP test with Tomshardware, the G3's on the other hand are well made.

darknightbacca1

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
While most tier list are fairly accurate I wouldn't trust one that puts the EVGA B3 in the same group as the EVGA G3.

7gRW8fu.png

I go by reviews and 3 different B3 PSU's blew durring the OPP test with Tomshardware, the G3's on the other hand are well made.

that is 100% correct, that is the only questionable thing on this, but i'm pretty sure the seasonic prime series is top notch or am i wrong?

ps : seasonic prime has gold plated connectors which is hella nice, much higher reliability than others.

WildCard999

Titan
that is 100% correct, that is the only questionable thing on this, but i'm pretty sure the seasonic prime series is top notch or am i wrong?

ps : seasonic prime has gold plated connectors which is hella nice, much higher reliability than others.
It is but if any money saved can be put into other parts of the build that would affect performance then considering the MSI board your looking at supports up to 3466mhz memory then maybe the savings can be used for that. Although one other issue is that once you go above 3200mhz memory pricing gets noticeably higher to maybe that extra 3-5 FPS isn't worth $50 more.

darknightbacca1

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
It is but if any money saved can be put into other parts of the build that would affect performance then considering the MSI board your looking at supports up to 3466mhz memory then maybe the savings can be used for that. Although one other issue is that once you go above 3200mhz memory pricing gets noticeably higher to maybe that extra 3-5 FPS isn't worth $50 more.

I've got 2x4gb 2400mhz ram if i got a 16gb kit i couldnt refund my current ram therefore i'd have to get a 2x4gb kit of 3200mhz ram which would cost around $100, and yeah not much fps improvement, not like i need more fps anyway with a ryzen 7 2700x & gtx 1060 6gb strix.

to put it simply a long time ago in a galaxy far away my power supply failed and damaged a bunch of my components, my cpu & gpu, possibly motherboard, possibly ram.

i've replaced gpu & cpu and gotten rid of choppy, sluggish frames but my frames during games are still less fluid and a little vsync like but in other areas they are fluid and smooth, point is i'm not sure whether or not it's normal, but if it isn't and my motherboard is causing it then replacing that would be a hail merry cause there's no way for me to find out if it is, or it might be my ram

hence predicament.

darknightbacca1

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
If you can't get a 2x8gb (3000/3200) kit now then wait as mixing memory is a bad idea. As for making your FPS a bit more fluid you could try pairing that 1060 6gb with a Freesync monitor as newer Nvidia drivers allow you to utilize Freesync.
https://www.techspot.com/article/1779-freesync-and-nvidia-geforce/

So you are saying that it is normal what im describing, also i've decided to get the motherboard and then overclock my ram, i dont need 16gb, 8gb should be fine and it's a micron die so it should be overclockable up to decent mhz, as for my power supply i doubt the connector's will do anything it's the pins that matter, + i can just bend them back, at most it'll probably just not start the pc if the metal surrounding the pins are bent out of place too much

psu should be just fine for a couple years, as should this new motherboard im getting, it'll just about cover everything i want to do including decent overclocking, included wifi & bluetooth and a bunch of other stuff.

as for my areas not being fluid thing i think that's entirely normal, people just don't notice it, and if it isn't then there's no way in hell my ram is causing it, so it'd most likely be my motherboard which i am replacing anyways so yay either way.