Question Should i upgrade? or is my current cpu not set up right?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

daylightriot

Commendable
Mar 4, 2018
I currently have a ryzen 2600 @ 4.2 ghz with 3600mhz ram in dual channel. It bottlenecks my 980ti quite a bit. i recently played darksiders 3 and my gpu was running @ 70% max during gameplay @1080p ultra no vsync.
Does anyone have experience with this issue? according to all the benchmarks out there my cpu should barely bottleneck this gpu and when it does it should be between 5-10%. if i cant find a way to resolve this then i'll probably buy an 8600k and a z390 mobo soon. since switching to AMD i always seem to be waiting for that cpu with better ipc and higher clocks.

daylightriot

Commendable
Mar 4, 2018
since being on here last i have found and fixed a few problems with vega. for some reason the witcher 3 ran like absolute crap, suffered with micro stutter, as well as quite a few other dx11 titles. vsync and enhaced sync was all over the place too, even @ stock frequencies/voltages.

turns out there seems to be a lot of issues with amd's drivers and their compatibility with the newest version of w10 update 1809 or something. so i ddu'd my current drivers and downgraded to version 17.12 which is working great. Also im not seeing the power consumption you mentioned. my system only pulls 400w max from the wall, 220w on the gpu. and yes i have two seperate 8 pins powering the gpu. this is undervolted mind.

how's your card holding up mate? you ever have any of these issues? man i like my system but all this tweeking is annoying. i hate to say it but shintel and ngreedia do their drivers right.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
since being on here last i have found and fixed a few problems with vega. for some reason the witcher 3 ran like absolute crap, suffered with micro stutter, as well as quite a few other dx11 titles. vsync and enhaced sync was all over the place too, even @ stock frequencies/voltages.

turns out there seems to be a lot of issues with amd's drivers and their compatibility with the newest version of w10 update 1809 or something. so i ddu'd my current drivers and downgraded to version 17.12 which is working great. Also im not seeing the power consumption you mentioned. my system only pulls 400w max from the wall, 220w on the gpu. and yes i have two seperate 8 pins powering the gpu. this is undervolted mind.

how's your card holding up mate? you ever have any of these issues? man i like my system but all this tweeking is annoying. i hate to say it but shintel and ngreedia do their drivers right.

17.12 is ANCIENT the problem with that driver is you lose a ton of game optimizations. With HBCC not on, undervolted, and that old driver it explains the low power consumption. At least try last stable which is 19.1.1

I haven't seen any of the issues you mentioned although I haven't played Witcher. The only game where I had notably poor performance was Quantum Break and strangely that game once I got past a certain point just plain ran better. I think it was just poor programming. Also my monitor is 100hz Freesync, I run at 3440x1440, some games with Freesync off have a lot of microstutter (like For Honor) but with Freesync ON run smooth as butter. But then Hitman actually runs better without Freesync, go figure?

Reactions: daylightriot

daylightriot

Commendable
Mar 4, 2018
17.12 is ANCIENT the problem with that driver is you lose a ton of game optimizations. With HBCC not on, undervolted, and that old driver it explains the low power consumption. At least try last stable which is 19.1.1

I haven't seen any of the issues you mentioned although I haven't played Witcher. The only game where I had notably poor performance was Quantum Break and strangely that game once I got past a certain point just plain ran better. I think it was just poor programming. Also my monitor is 100hz Freesync, I run at 3440x1440, some games with Freesync off have a lot of microstutter (like For Honor) but with Freesync ON run smooth as butter. But then Hitman actually runs better without Freesync, go figure?

i took you're advice and updated the driver to 19.1.1, im not sure if its installed correctly though as when i click the search for updates button in radeon settings its still recommending i update to 19.1.1. i think this problem is being caused by windows as my machine wont restart. I can shut down or start from an off state but not restart, it just shuts windows off and then i get a blank screen. pc is on but doesnt go through the post startup. this is on windows 10 pro. I had this issue previously on ltsb but cant remember how i fixed it. after a quick read this seems to be a common problem with consumer W10.

anyhoo, with the new driver, exclusive fullscreen doesnt work properly. got a weird widescreen border. borderless fullscreen is fine though.

things i've tried.
restoring all bios/windows settings to default.
clean install of windows.
booting with 1 drive and 1 ram stick.
removing all peripherals/usb sticks
disabling fast boot/sleep/hibernate through settings and with commmand prompt.
disabling uac
fixing boot sectors through cmd
disabling superfetch through services.msc
tried restarting with my 980ti in and it wont restart.
used a different psu
replaced mobo battery

nothing fixes the boot issue. next ill try running a live linux disc and checking all the hardware and partitions. At this point im at a complete loss. i sincerely doubt its hardware related, it must be a bug within windows itself.

daylightriot

Commendable
Mar 4, 2018
I've never seen that problem, sorry. I'd suggest starting a new thread maybe someone here has encountered the same.
Nah its OK. I'm gonna rma the vega and buy a 2070 instead. This card is causing way too many headaches for me. I'd understand if it was a new card but vega has been out for 2 years now. I don't know if it's just the strix version causing these issues but either way, I'm not impressed. Moving back over to nvidia.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Nah its OK. I'm gonna rma the vega and buy a 2070 instead. This card is causing way too many headaches for me. I'd understand if it was a new card but vega has been out for 2 years now. I don't know if it's just the strix version causing these issues but either way, I'm not impressed. Moving back over to nvidia.

As someone who owns and enjoys a Vega, I'll say you are not necessarily making a bad decision moving from it. The 2070 gives you mostly the same performance, with less power overhead, and less work.

daylightriot

Commendable
Mar 4, 2018
Had my 2070 a couple of days now and wow what a difference. Zero stuttering, no need to undervolt anything or mess with settings, runs at 63c @ 1800mhz stock settings, and outperforms the vega 64 and the 1080 in 99% of games, has dlss, Ray tracing and is whisper quiet to boot. All this for 40 bucks more and came with a free game. Best decision ever.

Seriously mate, the only downside is nvidias ------- control panel. Picked up the msi armor version. I can even overclock this thing to 2ghz!!

Last edited by a moderator: