Question Should I upgrade or replace?

OmegaOrigins

Prominent
May 15, 2019
I have an alienware x51 that is compact and fits well on my desk, with a i7 3770, unoverclockable with a new graphics card due, 16 gbs or ram, and a 256 ssd.
Should i upgrade it and run with it for longer, or build up a new rig and just give my alienware to a friend?

OmegaOrigins

Prominent
May 15, 2019
i plan on getting a graphics card, either in the range of an rx 570 to 1660, and to be honest, i'm not sure how much lifespan this old i7 will have, and if it'll keep up for quite a bit more time, since this computer was bought in 2012.

Those will be good matches too... But if you are willing to go down the second hand route, a good condition boxed etc 1070 is only about £10 more than a 1660 (depending on where you live, but is probably similar worldwide), and could get around 10 FPS more in-game typically. However, it may have a shorter life span if you do this.

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
Well i would recommend you waiting for the ryzen 3rd gen launch.
It will make a huge difference in CPU/GPU prices when it drops.
The i7 you have is getting kinda old if you ask me, and you will need a beefy power supply to power that 570RX if you planned on getting it.
Getting a 2nd hand parts is not always grantee to live long, depending on how well the owner used it and how well he took care of it.

TRENDING THREADS