Should I upgrade or start from scratch?

Oct 26, 2018
Currently I have an older PC that was built by Computer Direct because the old Gateway motherboard VRM's failed years ago. Anyways, its got an Asus P7P55D Pro motherboard (LGA 1156) with an i7 860 CPU clocked at 2.8GHz, an ancient Radeon ATI HD5700 1Gb GPU, a 450W PSU, 1Tb Western Digital HDD, and a generic Computer Direct case.

My question is, since I have seen people online successfully running powerful GPU's in their old systems (i7 860's, 970's, 2600's) will I be able to do the same and run say, something like a GTX 1060 6Gb in my older system? Or should I spend the extra money and buy a new motherboard, and get a faster CPU, and eventually a new case as well.

There is just something cool about an old system running triple A games at high FPS counts, some would call them sleeper PC's. I want to do the same.\

Thanks guys!

Solution
I hear you about the old PCs running today's games at decent framerates. I'm kinda in that club as well. But your i7-860 is getting pretty long in the tooth as once was said. It is about the equivalent of a fast-clocked Phenom II X4. The 1060 6GB might be bottlenecked occasionally in some gaming scenarios, but probably the top card I would choose for that old platform. Probably time to consider a new build. At least a new board, CPU, RAM. Unfortunately, that may mean a new Win license depending on which version of Win you're running.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I hear you about the old PCs running today's games at decent framerates. I'm kinda in that club as well. But your i7-860 is getting pretty long in the tooth as once was said. It is about the equivalent of a fast-clocked Phenom II X4. The 1060 6GB might be bottlenecked occasionally in some gaming scenarios, but probably the top card I would choose for that old platform. Probably time to consider a new build. At least a new board, CPU, RAM. Unfortunately, that may mean a new Win license depending on which version of Win you're running.

Solution
there is "old" and "ancient"

that CPU is 9 yrs old and counting.

and its only 2.8ghz...which in todays tripleA games is pretty underwhelming.

I understand wanting to keep an older PC (i still have an old single core intel pc I use for some stuff) but if you truly want to enjoy triple A games i'd have to suggest going for a new MB/CPU/RAM and a case that fits it all (depending on size of your current case you "could" use it still as a last resort so it would look old but have modern insides)

Oct 26, 2018
Thank you guys (or girls) for the quick reposes! I think I am going to get the GTX 1060 like @stdragon suggested first and see what happens from there. I will be monitoring temps and usages of the CPU and GPU via MSI afterburner/Rivatuner so ill let you guys know how it turns out.

Cheers.