Question Should I upgrade or whole new build?

Apr 23, 2019
Below are the specs that I currently have on my pc build. Worked well for years, about time for a better build. Any opinions would be appreciated.

I would also like to not the I currently only have a 430 watt power supply.

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 4570 @ 3.20GHz
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate(MS-7850)
Graphics
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 (MSI)
Storage
1863GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 (SATA )
465GB Crucial CT500MX500SSD1 (SATA (SSD)

What kinds of games do you play?
What is your budget?
What is the make/model of your 430w psu?

Try this test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

If, for example, you have a Corsair CX430, it will have a 6+2 pcie connector which can run a card as good as a GTX1660ti.

If you are cpu limited, you are looking not only at a ryzen or 9th gen processor, but also at a new motherboard and ram.

Apr 23, 2019
What kinds of games do you play?
What is your budget?
What is the make/model of your 430w psu?

Try this test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

If, for example, you have a Corsair CX430, it will have a 6+2 pcie connector which can run a card as good as a GTX1660ti.

If you are cpu limited, you are looking not only at a ryzen or 9th gen processor, but also at a new motherboard and ram.

I play pretty much everything, recently it has become more difficult to play newer open wold, survival, or even FPS games at 60 frames. Most of the time now, I have to play on the lowest settings to run it and even then, getting 40 FPS

Currently I do have the Corsair CX430

my budget it to spend less than $500 hopefully

You have a relatively well balanced system from the cpu/gpu point of view.
You may need to upgrade both for a good boost.

The simplest thing to do would be to upgrade the graphics card first and see how you do.
That will be most effective for fast action games.
Since you do get better FPS with lowered settings, I think a graphics upgrade would be the first priority.
Such an upgrade can be carried forward to a later cpu upgrade.
A GTX1660ti is currently the strongest graphics card that your psu can support. It is around $280.
On a budget, I might look for the GTX1660 which is around $220.

On the cpu side, you are likely going to need not only a new cpu but also a new motherboard and ram.
A I7-4790K with an overclock would be a fair budget upgrade, but, they are $200 or so used on ebay.
Also, 8gb is a bit small these days so that is not really a good option.

One suggestion would be a 6 core I5-9600F for $170
The F variant does not have integrated graphics.
If your cpu budget is a bit more, and you will overclock, the 9600K will be $265 and you will want a Z390 based motherboard for about $110.
If you overclock, budget some $50 for a good cooler.

A H310 motherboard for $60
and a 2 8gb DDR4 ram kit for $85.

On the ryzen side, you can get good value if you need many cores at the offset of individual core speeds.
That is most effective if you favor multiplayer games with many participants.
I will let the ryzen fans suggest the best value there.