Question Time to upgrade or would I be better off waiting for new generation ?

saif magdob

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2015
Hi All,

Would like suggestion from some better knowing people (rather than myself), Is my current system still good choice?

PC Specifications:
CPU: Core I7-9700K
Cooler: Aigo Ligo Liquid 120M
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Gaming OC White 8GB
Ram: TFORCE 16G DDR4 3200MHz
PSU: ThermalTake 700W
M.2 256GB SSD

Should i upgrade? or would I be better off waiting for new generation?

Thanks for your time and attention to my question.

saif magdob

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2015
It's a good system for some purposes and a bad system for other purposes.

What are your purposes?

Budget?

From what vendor will you buy any new parts?

For Gaming, Video Editing, Design & Streaming

Will I be able to play all latest game at 1440p with ultra and high settings with Good FPS? Should I change anything or is everything looking alright? Thanks!

saif magdob

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2015
Hi wondering if anyone might be able to offer some advice

Is my current system still good choice For Gaming at 1440p with ultra and high settings with Good FPS, Video Editing, Design & Streaming? Should I change anything or is everything looking alright? Thanks!

This my computer specs:

M.2 256GB

all responses appreciated

Hi All,

Would like suggestion from some better knowing people (rather than myself), Is my current system still good choice?

PC Specifications:
M.2 256GB SSD

Should i upgrade? or would I be better off waiting for new generation?

Thanks for your time and attention to my question.
I don't know, should you?

You can get a much better CPU and GPU than what you have right now. However in reality it's still a very nice system, are you unhappy with the performance in some way?
As for whether you will be able to play at 1440p with high settings at a good frame rate. It would depend on the game and what you consider to be 'good FPS'. Cyberpunk won't do 1440p at high settings at a good frame rate without some compromises, but with some tweaking you can still get a good result.

If you were to say your no longer satisfied with the performance your getting, then you would need to upgrade both the CPU and GPU to get a meaningful uplift on what you have. I wouldn't go less than a 12700K and a 3080 otherwise you won't be impressed. I wouldn't pre-empt an upgrade though for the sake of future proofing yourself. Upgrade when you run into something that doesn't perform to your satisfaction.

Inthrutheoutdoor

Reputable
BANNED
Feb 17, 2019
Well it's a perfectly capable machine for most uses, like everyday office stuff, surfin da net, streaming, email, light video work, and playing older, less demanding games...

However, I doubt that it would be suitable for the moar recent games at high resolutions....so if that part concerns you, then yes, it is time for you to upgrade....

The BEST news here is that all of your current parts will fetch pretty good prices on the used market, so that money can be used to offset the costs of your new stuff :D

Personally, if I were in the same position, I would wait until Black Friday sales start...

1 - because by then hopefully last-gen GPU prices will have dropped even moar, and perhaps the new gen ones will be available also (but be prepared for some really serious sticker shock on them, regardless of what the rumor mills have claimed !)

And 2 - you should be able to score some great deals on your new parts, regardless of what you decide to buy !

Good luck with your decisions :D