[SOLVED] Should I upgrade? Repair? // Surface book gen 1 for illustration

ArcaneCentury

Honorable
May 31, 2016
I've had a Surface Book (1) specs: i5 8gb and 256gb for about four and a half years now. Two years ago the wireless card apparently died and I've had a wireless dongle stuck in it since then... not that big of a deal, but the computer has either slowed down in general or how slow it is has become more and more apparent. Most recently a thin crack from top corner to the opposite corner has formed. It's not awful as far as cracked screens go, but it is pretty visible on white backgrounds and there is a slight yellow discoloration around that crack and most glaringly my pen catches on it when I draw.

I'm thinking it might be time for an upgrade, but this was originally a gift and I don't have the same budget as the person who got it for me ($1700 back then). Am I better off getting the screen (and maybe the wireless card) fixed for what I can guess is around $150-250 (if not more I really can't tell) or with all the incurred issues to date might I be able to get something better for a budget of $500-900 ?
It's a bit hard for me to decide because this computer is technically operable, but there is also a lot of reasons for me to upgrade what with the original specs being on the lower end of of this laptop's spec options.

I primarily use it for drawing and as a daily driver which is why I love that it has a full solid keyboard mode I can set in my lap wherever I may be and the screen is pressure sensitive for drawing so it's like having one of those "graphic drawing tablets" built into my laptop. And I travel quiet a bit and love taking it everywhere with me, curling up with it on the recliner, etc, so I don't want to get a desktop and graphics/drawing tablet anyways. I often go visit my mom for a week or two and I don't want to not have my digital drawing tool with me for that long.
I've considered an iPad with procreate just because all the videos I've seen of people using it look buttery smooth and I know it'd be portable, but iPads are almost as expensive as a refurbished Surface Book and it wouldn't be a real laptop with a solid keyboard. Not to mention IOS is a no-transparency, red-tape, headache and I don't really want to deal with a new operating system.
I've seen some refurbished versions of the Surface Book with better specs (i7 16gb) for around $500-700 and wondered if 1) are these legit? the ratings would suggest so, plus there's Ebay's buyer protection and return policy and 2) if it is %100 legit does it matter that the original Surface Book is kinda old ?

Solution
If you are having a shop do the repair, I would say go ahead and pick up the used i7. A screen replacement and wifi module replacement will be a few hours of labor at least, plus the parts. Might easily approach $500.

Looks like screens are around $115 on ebay. And they'll have to deal with the digitizer and hopefully not damage it during replacement. WiFi modules are pretty cheap though, so that is likely $20-30. Still, add labor....

You can try it yourself:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Microsoft+Surface+Book+Screen+Replacement/86674

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If you are having a shop do the repair, I would say go ahead and pick up the used i7. A screen replacement and wifi module replacement will be a few hours of labor at least, plus the parts. Might easily approach $500.

Looks like screens are around $115 on ebay. And they'll have to deal with the digitizer and hopefully not damage it during replacement. WiFi modules are pretty cheap though, so that is likely $20-30. Still, add labor....

You can try it yourself:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Microsoft+Surface+Book+Screen+Replacement/86674

Reactions: ArcaneCentury
Solution