Question Should I upgrade the PSU or get another GPU?

Jun 28, 2019
Hi. I recently purchased a Dell T3500 for $85 and got a brand NEW Sapphire R9 290 FOR $60. The Dell comes with a 525W PSU. My concern is whether the PSU is sufficient. If I do upgrade, which PSU's are compatible? Thanks

sdedu77

Respectable
Dec 9, 2018
The psu has a decent wattage, unlike 240-300w I hear of on most of the prebuilts. But it's still and old oem unit from a workstation, so you should think of an upgrade in the next years.
Anyway, we can't do much without your pc specs, maybe a picture of the power supply.

The good news is that the motherboard has a standard 24 pin connector, so any third party power supply should work fine. Thought you must never cheap out when buying a psu.

Jun 28, 2019
The psu has a decent wattage, unlike 240-300w I hear of on most of the prebuilts. But it's still and old oem unit from a workstation, so you should think of an upgrade in the next years.
Anyway, we can't do much without your pc specs, maybe a picture of the power supply.

The good news is that the motherboard has a standard 24 pin connector, so any third party power supply should work fine. Thought you must never cheap out when buying a psu.

This is what the PSU looks like View: https://imgur.com/a/n0LUQ7d
. It has only one 6 pin PCIE cable. I was planning on using a 2x Sata to 8pin adapter to power the graphics card.

That card shows a TDP of 275W. Way too much for the multirail 525W PSU to handle.
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-r9-290.c2397
A GTX1070 is a 150W card and should run with an adapter off of the 6 pin PCIe, or GTX1060,1050 will work also. Aftermarket PSU will fit that but the MB needs to be removed to extract the old wiring harness. Be sure any new PSU has a 5V. rail equal to what the Dell came with. That PSU provides power for a 150W GPU, and in newer cards that pretty good actually. If you want to run that card I would look for a 750W PSU.

TRENDING THREADS