[SOLVED] Should i upgrade to 3800 mhz ram with Intel cpu?

KRI___

Reputable
Apr 30, 2017
Hi. I have and intel core i7-9700k with 32 gb ram at 3000mhz speed.
I want to upgrade my ram to 32gb at 3800mhz speed even though it is said that on intel cpu its not notiecable and not very relevant to do so.

So this begs me the question if this bottlenecker calculator is legit since its showing me that my ram is bottlenecking my entire pc by quite a margin if u ask me.
https://www.cpuagent.com/build-comp...a-vs-ultra&ram=32-vs-32&ramspeed=3000-vs-3800

I have an rtx 3070 ti gpu and 2k monitor if that makes a difference.
Sure it also shows that i have to change the cpu but I did another calculation where the cpu is the same as what i have but with 3800mhz ram speed and shows the same average fps than with the new cpu.
So im guessing that my Ram is mainly the bottlenecker?

Last edited:
Solution
TBH it's probably not worth it unless you just don't care and want to spend the money. With ryzen, you need the speed to run with the IF mesh but intel nowhere near. I went from 3200 cas 16 to 3800 cas18, tested 4000 cas 20 ...you have to sacrifice cas latency and loosen timings for speed in Mhz unless you buy the expensive kits...I mean, there may be some games or programs that would rather have higher MHz and bandwidth because the bandwidth did jump up. Windows felt snappier at 4000 MHz but could also be placebo. Games fps ran about the same for me, I didn't notice much difference, even with render where it wants to load, keep and access over and over a ton of high quality textures ( it can load up around 28GB out of 32GB for me...

Reaper_7799

Distinguished
TBH it's probably not worth it unless you just don't care and want to spend the money. With ryzen, you need the speed to run with the IF mesh but intel nowhere near. I went from 3200 cas 16 to 3800 cas18, tested 4000 cas 20 ...you have to sacrifice cas latency and loosen timings for speed in Mhz unless you buy the expensive kits...I mean, there may be some games or programs that would rather have higher MHz and bandwidth because the bandwidth did jump up. Windows felt snappier at 4000 MHz but could also be placebo. Games fps ran about the same for me, I didn't notice much difference, even with render where it wants to load, keep and access over and over a ton of high quality textures ( it can load up around 28GB out of 32GB for me pretty easily).

Last edited:
Solution