Should I upgrade to a 1080ti?

Matt9327

Reputable
Jul 8, 2014
Alright so less than a month ago I purchased two EVGA 1080 Hybrid cards, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't love them. However, the price of these cards has already dropped $80 since the day I purchased them. So basically I can go through the EVGA step up program and trade them for ti's for $150 a piece. Problem is, they're FE cards. So with that said, these hybrid coolers are taking up too much space and a custom loop is beginning to look likely. So losing the Hybrid portion would probably benefit my case. What would you do? Oh, and I'm running a single 4k panel, yes this is basically an enthusiast build at this point (so performance/$ is not my main concern). So with that said, please no "This is insanely stupid" type of comments, just give me your opinion.

Solution
Personally, I would upgrade to the GTX1080Ti's then SELL one of them and stick with one card only.

SLI (and Crossfire) have too many issues. A single GTX1080Ti is great, though I'd stick with 2560x1440 (scale up by ASPECT via monitor) for most games unless they benefit visually from 4K and also can run at 60FPS.

Matt9327

Reputable
Jul 8, 2014
My only issue is that I'll probably be rocking those stock coolers for a while and I know how hot and loud they can be, though I always dreamed about having a 2-way SLI reference card setup, I've always sprung for the better coolers.

Personally, I would upgrade to the GTX1080Ti's then SELL one of them and stick with one card only.

SLI (and Crossfire) have too many issues. A single GTX1080Ti is great, though I'd stick with 2560x1440 (scale up by ASPECT via monitor) for most games unless they benefit visually from 4K and also can run at 60FPS.

Solution

Matt9327

Reputable
Jul 8, 2014

I would in a heartbeat, but sadly only the FE is listed under my step up options. :(

Matt9327

Reputable
Jul 8, 2014

Very valid suggestion, though I find anything under native 4k kinda fuzzy, maybe it's just my monitor model, and to be completely honest, I've been running only one of my 1080s as the other is currently getting RMA'd for a dead pump. The single 1080 alone is powering all of the games I currently play at Ultra native 4k around 40-60 FPS which is comfortable for me. And I will definitely consider switching to a single when I finally get around to my custom loop. Though I just have that itch for two cards in my rig, even if the only thing it helps is aesthetics. But I'm thankful for all the feedback, Ti's it is, I'll definitely miss these hybrids though.

Matt9327

Reputable
Jul 8, 2014

Not to mention bragging rights...