Should I upgrade to a 1151 Motherboard or 1150 Motherboard or wait for Intel to use a new socket?

ee90110211

Commendable
Jan 26, 2018
So I've been thinking about getting a new motherboard as the RAM slots on my current one don't work very well and requires me to constantly shift my RAM positions for the PC to boot up. So do you guys think I should get a brand new 1151 motherboard, wait for Intel to use a new socket or just get a 1150 motherboard with DDR3 slots? My current build has an Intel i5 4460 and 16GB of DDR3 RAM. If I were to get a new 1151 motherboard, I'd have to spend loads to get a new CPU and DDR4 RAM, almost quadruple the cost of just buying a new 1150 motherboard and fitting my current CPU and RAM onto it. My processor is almost 3 years old and I wouldn't mind switching to a new one, though it'd be expensive. Or you guys think my current build is already decent and that I shouldn't upgrade it. Let me know about your thoughts and opinions, that'll be greatly appreciated because I really can't make up my mind, thanks in advance.

Motherboard: ASUS H81M-D (it's not a very good one that's why I want to get a new one)
CPU: INTEL CORE i5 4460 @ 3.2GHZ
RAM: 16GB DDR3
GPU: GTX 1060 3GB

Ask yourself a question: are you happy of your current CPU performance? If yes, get only new motherboard. If no, get whole new setup. Waiting for new socket makes no sense, Intel always have new socket around the corner. If you get current 8th gen, by the time you need to swap it again there will be 2 or 3 new sockets already, so who cares.

ee90110211

Commendable
Jan 26, 2018
I'm okay with my current CPU performance. But how long do you think the CPU had before it stops running, I know cpus last a long time but I use my pc quite frequently for gaming. Or do you think it'll run future games time I were to get a new GPU because I won't be spending cash to buy a new motherboard for at least 2 years.

Not speculating about future games, but it for sure will not bottleneck your current GPU. It is 4 core CPU with decent speed so it should hold its ground for a bit more time. Until games will start using extensively more then 4 cores, but I don't expect that to happen fast.
As for CPU longevity, my last one lasted 9 years 10-12 hours a day, and still was in good condition (although obviously it lacked computing power at this point), so I don't think you have to worry about that.