Should I upgrade to a 4790k or coffee lake?

NobleGoat

Reputable
Apr 6, 2014
Hi guys, was curious what you guys think about what I should do for an upgrade. I currently have a i5 4670k, and was wondering if it was worth upgrading to the new generation of ryzen 2 or coffee lake. Id like to game at 1080p 144hz for competive online games and want to game at 4k for RPGs( I'll be getting the 11 series Nvidia card when they come out). Thanks again for any advice!

Solution
What GPU are you currently working with? Personally, if I were you, I'd take the following course of action:

Hold on to your 4670k and determine if you're getting an adequate amount of frames w/e you upgrade to the 11 series. The i7's do have the edge when it comes to high refresh rate gaming, but you might not even need it depending on the settings you're working with. If you aren't getting an adequate amount of frames, the 8700k is the absolute king of high refresh rates, just mind that you'll need both a board and RAM update to go along with that new processor.
For 4k rpg, you may even use current gpu, what gpu is it now?
For 1080p 144hz gaming, it depends on the game. Try it first before doing any upgrades. 4670k is still very capable. 8600k is ~20% faster but cost is ~500 bucks due to ddr4 ram requirement and Z370 MB.

What GPU are you currently working with? Personally, if I were you, I'd take the following course of action:

Hold on to your 4670k and determine if you're getting an adequate amount of frames w/e you upgrade to the 11 series. The i7's do have the edge when it comes to high refresh rate gaming, but you might not even need it depending on the settings you're working with. If you aren't getting an adequate amount of frames, the 8700k is the absolute king of high refresh rates, just mind that you'll need both a board and RAM update to go along with that new processor.

Solution