[SOLVED] should I upgrade to a rx 6700?

Feb 26, 2023
I'm currently running an rx 580 8gb paired with a ryzen 5 3600x with 16gigs of ram, i play on 1080p and im wondering if i should upgrade to the rx 6700 or if its worth it in general

Solution
Alright, i just took a look at it. Seems to have good reviews although I've never even heard of this brand, and im surprised since I built this myself, it's just been so long. It's a Trendsonic eco power 700w.
So this is your PSU then:
or229920_2.jpg

Well, it's definitely pretty enough. I like the styling, the colours and the connectors are better than the standard cheap-crap PSU connectors. However, I think that all of this focus that they put on making the PSU look pretty was only to hide the fact that it's a cheap-crap PSU inside. I'll explain why I think this.

Quality PSUs all have something in common, they have an 80+certification (Basic/White, Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum or...
I image you could double your framerate, but this is very dependent on the game, as at 1080p your CPU has to work hard too. If you were using 1440p, then I'd say it's absolutely worth the upgrade, at 1080p you may not see the full potential of the upgrade...but you can always upgrade your monitor or CPU in the future to take full advantage of it.

It will be an improvement for sure but at 1440p it would really be noticeable. At 1080p you will still see an improvement though. If you are staying on 1080p, you could consider the 6600, 6600xt, 6650xt, or even the older 5700xt if you want to save some money.

As the person above said though, your cpu could hold back a bit at 1080p. But still should be a good improvement.

Feb 26, 2023
It will be an improvement for sure but at 1440p it would really be noticeable. At 1080p you will still see an improvement though. If you are staying on 1080p, you could consider the 6600, 6600xt, 6650xt, or even the older 5700xt if you want to save some money.

As the person above said though, your cpu could hold back a bit at 1080p. But still should be a good improvement.
but if i change to 1440p, i dobut id be getting 144fps, and all i want is 144fps

but if i change to 1440p, i dobut id be getting 144fps, and all i want is 144fps
You should have put that in your original post because that's VERY important information. Most people aren't looking for 144fps, hell, most people aren't even looking for 120fps. Not only does that change the performance tier of the card but it also calls into question the speed of your CPU.

If you want high-refresh gaming, the CPU becomes very important because it has to be able to make 144+ draw calls per second to the video card in whatever game you're playing or the speed of the GPU is irrelevant.

In this case, you'll have to specify which game you play at 144fps because the R5-3600X isn't capable of 144fps in most titles and not even an RTX 4090 could help with that.

Reactions: KyaraM
Feb 26, 2023
You should have put that in your original post because that's VERY important information. Most people aren't looking for 144fps, hell, most people aren't even looking for 120fps. Not only does that change the performance tier of the card but it also calls into question the speed of your CPU.

If you want high-refresh gaming, the CPU becomes very important because it has to be able to make 144+ draw calls per second to the video card in whatever game you're playing or the speed of the GPU is irrelevant.

In this case, you'll have to specify which game you play at 144fps because the R5-3600X isn't capable of 144fps in most titles and not even an RTX 4090 could help with that.
I mostly play older titles, newest one being dying light 2 but I can't imagine myself reaching 144fps on it even on low graphics.

Reactions: Avro Arrow
I mostly play older titles, newest one being dying light 2 but I can't imagine myself reaching 144fps on it even on low graphics.
Hmm, that's hard to predict because reviewers don't generally use older titles to test new hardware. I think that you wouldn't be able to go wrong with an RX 6700 XT in that situation. The only question would be how CPU-heavy the game is. Older games can be a real turd on your CPU, hitting only one or two cores really hard and ignoring the rest. For those games, single-core performance and clock speed are the most important factors because their graphics are relatively simple compared to games like CP2077.

Yeah, I'd say that the RX 6700 XT would be a good bet for you and if you encounter any CPU bottlenecking, just drop in an R7-5700X and you should be good. I hope that this helps! (y)

Feb 26, 2023
I vote for a 3060TI or 3060. Nivida has better driver support.

I love AMD, but they still need work out driver software issues. Last 3 cards I have had issues in 3 different builds.
where I live the 3060's more expensive than its AMD equivalents, infact maybe 100-150 euros more expensive. i currently have an amd card and haven't encountered any issues.

To see if you can benefit from a 6700, try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

Here is a handy chart as to the power required for various graphics cards:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

Looks like RX580 and RX6700 needs are similar.
If you are looking at a factory overclocked card that needs more than a single 8 pin connector, then a psu upgrade might be needed.

logainofhades

Titan
I vote for a 3060TI or 3060. Nivida has better driver support.

I love AMD, but they still need work out driver software issues. Last 3 cards I have had issues in 3 different builds.

I have been running an RX 6800, for nearly 2 years, without a driver issue. Nvidia has had some hiccups as of late with their drivers. Not to mention Nvidia's driver cpu overhead, that can rear its head on a Zen2 chip.

DSzymborski

Titan
No upgrade is recommended until you give details about your PSU. You've didn't answer questions about it in another thread, but in a third thread, you made a reference to having a "Thermaltake 700W" PSU (no details on exact model were provided though).

There are seven different Thermaltake 700W PSUs listed at PCPP. Two of the seven are good (the Toughpower ones). The other five, however, are junk-tier PSUs (SMART and TR2).

In the end, nobody can make any recommendation without knowing either what exact PSU you have or what exact PSU you plan to buy. Because if you have one of the bad PSUs, the recommendation would be not to upgrade GPU at all and replace your current PSU.

Last edited:
Reactions: logainofhades
I have been running an RX 6800, for nearly 2 years, without a driver issue. Nvidia has had some hiccups as of late with their drivers. Not to mention Nvidia's driver cpu overhead, that can rear its head on a Zen2 chip.
Yeah, I've had no driver issues with my RX 6800 XT either. All of this talk of Radeon drivers is false at worst and outdated at best. The last time that I ever had a driver issue with a Radeon card was some annoying overscan with my R9 Furies. All I had to do to fix it was toggle GPU scaling on or off. Other than that, I don't ever remember having a driver issue and I've used only Radeon since 2008. With my HD 4870s, HD 7970s, RX 5700 XT and RX 6800 XT, I never had any driver issues (and I ran the 4870s and 7970s in crossfire).

When I see people still talking about Radeon driver issues like they're still a real thing, I want to bang my head against a wall in frustration. Sure, they can happen, but it's almost always because people switched to Radeon from GeForce and didn't use DDU.

If they were to switch to GeForce from Radeon without using DDU, they'd probably encounter issues there too so it's not a Radeon thing.

where I live the 3060's more expensive than its AMD equivalents, infact maybe 100-150 euros more expensive. i currently have an amd card and haven't encountered any issues.
Yeah, I've found that most "driver issues" with Radeon cards are self-inflicted or aren't driver issues at all. Sometimes they're just hardware issues with the card itself, the user didn't employ DDU or something else in their system is causing the problem. I've had all Radeon since the HD 4870 back in 2008 and across ten cards of seven different types, I only ever had a few annoying overscan issues with my R9 Furies. All I had to do to fix it was toggle GPU scaling and eventually even that stopped happening altogether.

The only issues that still exist are caused by people not properly un-installing their previous drivers correctly. To be fair, that's not their fault because the Radeon driver package should be able to do that properly but it doesn't and so you have to use DDU. If you do use DDU however, you'll never have a problem.

Feb 26, 2023
No upgrade is recommended until you give details about your PSU. You've didn't answer questions about it in another thread, but in a third thread, you made a reference to having a "Thermaltake 700W" PSU (no details on exact model were provided though).

There are seven different Thermaltake 700W PSUs listed at PCPP. Two of the seven are good (the Toughpower ones). The other five, however, are junk-tier PSUs (SMART and TR2).

In the end, nobody can make any recommendation without knowing either what exact PSU you have or what exact PSU you plan to buy. Because if you have one of the bad PSUs, the recommendation would be not to upgrade GPU at all and replace your current PSU.
see, this is also another thing that's stopping me. ive been running with this build for 5+ years i think now and i can't even remember the wattage or brand of my psu, the other post you saw was me describing my friend's rig.

Alright, i just took a look at it. Seems to have good reviews although I've never even heard of this brand, and im surprised since I built this myself, it's just been so long. It's a Trendsonic eco power 700w.
or229920_2.jpg

Well, it's definitely pretty enough. I like the styling, the colours and the connectors are better than the standard cheap-crap PSU connectors. However, I think that all of this focus that they put on making the PSU look pretty was only to hide the fact that it's a cheap-crap PSU inside. I'll explain why I think this.

Quality PSUs all have something in common, they have an 80+certification (Basic/White, Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum or Titanium). These are efficiency ratings and only PSUs made with at least decent-quality parts can get certified. Any PSU vendor who takes the time to make a good PSU makes damn sure that they get this certification because not having it means that no enthusiast would ever even consider buying one.

This PSU that you have doesn't even have the "Basic White" 80+certification which tells me that it's made with low grade parts. It should still work decently because the RX 6700 XT only consumes about 10W more than the RX 580 at load.

Having said that, since the RX 6700 XT is a lot more expensive than the RX 580, I would recommend getting a new PSU. You don't have to just rush out and get it right away because the PSU that you already have should work, at least for awhile, so you have time to get the money together that you'll need. If you tell me what country you're in, I can make a recommendation for you on a PSU that would be local and not overly-expensive.

Last edited:
Solution
Feb 26, 2023
or229920_2.jpg

Quality PSUs all have something in common, they have an 80+certification (Basic/White, Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum or Titanium). These are efficiency ratings and only PSUs made with at least decent-quality parts can get certified. Any PSU vendor who takes the time to make a good PSU makes damn sure that they get this certification because not having it means that no enthusiast would ever even consider buying one.

This PSU that you have doesn't even have the "Basic White" 80+certification which tells me that it's made with low grade parts. It should still work decently because the RX 6700 XT only consumes about 10W more than the RX 580 at load.

Having said that, since the RX 6700 XT is a lot more expensive than the RX 580, I would recommend getting a new PSU. You don't have to just rush out and get it right away because the PSU that you already have should work, at least for awhile, so you have time to get the money together that you'll need. If you tell me what country you're in, I can make a recommendation for you on a PSU that would be local and not overly-expensive.
thank you.