Question Should i upgrade to an i5-13400f and DDR5 system ?

Jan 19, 2023
Hello everyone,

I have I5 10400f, Msi b460m a pro and 16gb 2666mhz DDR4 Ram.

My gpu is Rtx 3070 and i am playing on 4k.

I am planning to upgrade :

I5 13400f
32 GB DDR5 6000mhz Ram
MSI B760 Tomahawk WiFi

Is it worth for 4k gaming ? Or should i wait ?

Thanks for help :)

The move to DDR5 is not significant as far as RAM speed/performance is concerned. And, since you are gaming at 4K, CPU performance difference will be minimized.

Maybe it's just my opinion though, as I am a fan of long-term use of a system. I am not a fan; however, of the non-K Intel CPUs for gaming (although 13th-gen does seem to be more promising.)

That said, if you want to upgrade, it wouldn't be a bad idea to upgrade your CPU. However, a K-series i7 or i9 that is compatible with your current motherboard would be my suggestion.

Watch some comparison videos on YT comparing the non-K CPUs and then the K-series CPUs, particularly at 4K.

Jan 19, 2023
The move to DDR5 is not significant as far as RAM speed/performance is concerned. And, since you are gaming at 4K, CPU performance difference will be minimized.

Maybe it's just my opinion though, as I am a fan of long-term use of a system. I am not a fan; however, of the non-K Intel CPUs for gaming (although 13th-gen does seem to be more promising.)

That said, if you want to upgrade, it wouldn't be a bad idea to upgrade your CPU. However, a K-series i7 or i9 that is compatible with your current motherboard would be my suggestion.

Watch some comparison videos on YT comparing the non-K CPUs and then the K-series CPUs, particularly at 4K.
Thank you for your help :)
How about i5 13600k ? And I know nothing about OC. Are unlocked K-series cpu s default overclocked ?

Thank you for your help :)
How about i5 13600k ? And I know nothing about OC. Are unlocked K-series cpu s default overclocked ?
The CPU you choose should be your choice. Compare your options and see what you will gain from each and what it requires for each. K-series are clocked higher out of the box and also require a better cooling solution. I personally like the K-series for gaming. The non-K series has been a good value and less of a headache when it comes to cooling. I would simply make sure you won't be disappointed in the gain you may or may not get from a CPU upgrade while gaming at 4K resolution. I'm sure it depends on the game as to how much performance you gain.

Fast action gaming at 4k will usually be limited more by the graphics card than the cpu.

But, for a cpu boost, the I5-13400 is a very good option.
On your plans:

Paying a $25 price premium for the non F version is good insurance against discrete gpu issues.

Do you really need 32gb?
Look in task manager/memory tab.
Find the hard fault page rate. If it is near zero, you have sufficient ram with 16gb.
DDR5 performance is essentially the same as DDR4.
You could start with your current DDR4 ram kit.

If the price is less, the B660 version would be ok.
By now, all new B660 stock will come with 13th gen support.

13600k of course would be stronger.
You will also need a lga1700 capable cooler since the K suffix processors do not include one.

For gaming, most will not overclock, even if it was possible.
Better results come from letting the default turbo mechanism boost the most important core to above oc clocks.

Last edited: