Should i upgrade to coffee lake?

maxzki

Commendable
Apr 2, 2016
19
0
1,510
0
Good afternoon! I need your help guys , i was kinda impressed by new intel cpus but i already own an i7 7700k now so i need some feedback. To see things clear : I'm addicted to video edting and gaming, and i got an offer to sell my mboard and cpu for around 520$ , should i wait ice lake or its good and future proof to go for 8700k now? Since i'm not sure ill have money for new intel stuff ( you know its a life and we never know what happens ) i'm really confused if i should do that and it will be noticable and profitable. Let's think an extra 200$ for that isn't a problem. Thank you for any feedback!!
 
For gaming, it wont make a difference, but for video editing it sure will. Getting $520 for your 7700k and mobo is a good deal. I would sell mine if someone offered me that much. So you can move up into a 8700k for pretty cheap, so I would do it. Especially while your 7700k is still worth something. You can always move up again when the next CPU comes out.
 

penn919

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
284
0
18,860
33


Personally I wouldn't. 7700K is still excellent for gaming and good enough for video editing. The added benefits of improved video editing performance isn't enough to justify the cost and hassle of overhauling your system. I'd wait at least until ICE Lake to make an upgrade.

If you really want more performance, then your energy is best spent on overclocking the 7700K instead. It can easily get over 5GHZ. Also, learning to exercise patience goes a long way in helping your financial life. Seriously, leaping to spend money to stay at the bleeding edge of tech is not a good habit...unless you're rich.
 
It really all depends on whether you have the itch to upgrade....I know how that feels, and as you are getting a great price for your 7700K and mobo, jumping to the 8700K will make you feel better and it will help on the editing side for sure...If you want it and can afford it...then why not. If you can wait, then no problems as well, though you wont get that price for the 7700K and Mobo again...
 

maxzki

Commendable
Apr 2, 2016
19
0
1,510
0
thanks for the feedback guys! appreciate every answer so much! I'll be thinking on that , if that happens it will be in january's end. Maybe there will be some announces untill that. And i will still be able to sell mobo+cpu for 470-500 even if i'll decline current offer.
 

Similar threads


ASK THE COMMUNITY