[SOLVED] should i upgrade to gtx1660 from rx 580 for fortnite

Apr 17, 2022
just woundering if a ftd 1660 super will offer a performance increase from rx 580 in fortnite

Solution
appreciate the replies but i have another reason for upgrading my gpu started causing black screening recently although it could very well be my psu
It could be a lot of things, try to fix them first.

Replace paste and thermal pads
back memory speeds off by at least 50Mhz
DDU drivers all of them intel amd and nvidia along with all audio drivers.

. While the driver may not be at fault, software is a problem that causes more problems in other software.

If you have any aftermarket gpu or cpu tuning software get rid of it before ddu! Nothing but another layer of software to cause issues.
reinstall windows

Replace paste on gpu die and replace thermal pads.

1660super is awesome but hardly better than a 580

Good luck

try...
Apr 17, 2022
I agree, also it is very disappointing to have to spend 400-500 dollars to replace a card that costs 229 at launch that currently sells 100 dollars over that price.

Also for fortnight an rx580 is plenty.
appreciate the replies but i have another reason for upgrading my gpu started causing black screening recently although it could very well be my psu

Reactions: spentshells

. While the driver may not be at fault, software is a problem that causes more problems in other software.

If you have any aftermarket gpu or cpu tuning software get rid of it before ddu! Nothing but another layer of software to cause issues.
reinstall windows

Good luck

try another psu/ computer to try to replicate the issue

Solution
Aug 12, 2022

reinstall windows

Good luck

try another psu/ computer to try to replicate the issue

Hi,

I have an 8gb RX580 as well which causes Fortnite to randomly freeze or to kick me out while in-game. (Win 10, AMD Ryzen 7 5800x, MSI X470 M/B, NVME SSD & 16gb 3600mhz RAM)

I think it might be the support for the older GPU's that is becoming the issue now.

If the above steps doesn't work and you still want to upgrade I would also recommend going RTX 3060 or RX6600 or higher. (I did actually upgrade mine today)

Reactions: spentshells
Hi,

I have an 8gb RX580 as well which causes Fortnite to randomly freeze or to kick me out while in-game. (Win 10, AMD Ryzen 7 5800x, MSI X470 M/B, NVME SSD & 16gb 3600mhz RAM)

I think it might be the support for the older GPU's that is becoming the issue now.

If the above steps doesn't work and you still want to upgrade I would also recommend going RTX 3060 or RX6600 or higher. (I did actually upgrade mine today)
this thread is closed, but AMD released driver updates that improve performance on 7xxx cards from 2012 that polaris card is going to solid for another few years, unless build quality bites you in the ass.

TRENDING THREADS