[SOLVED] Should I upgrade to Intel 12600k?

Nov 4, 2021
I'm looking to upgrade my CPU from a Ryzen 5 1600 to the new i5 12600k. My current GPU is a GTX 1660 Super and I was wondering if getting a 12600k would be too overkill and bottleneck my GPU. I have enough money to get a 12600k but I don't want to waste it. Should I buy the 12600k or should I get a cheaper CPU?

Solution
My current GPU is a GTX 1660 Super and I was wondering if getting a 12600k would be too overkill and bottleneck my GPU.
It would still be ok for the most part. GPU prices are more expensive right now and would be more of a concern given limited availability. You can always swap out the GPU in the future.

Most people are willing to run low tiered GPUs just to carry them 1-2 years until GPU prices become better, even if it means a possible bottleneck.

Intel 12th gen looks good, based on performance. The top models do beat the Ryzen 5000 series in single core performance, which translates to higher FPS in gaming.

I have enough money to get a 12600k but I don't want to waste it.
I'd say you'd might waste even more...
My current GPU is a GTX 1660 Super and I was wondering if getting a 12600k would be too overkill and bottleneck my GPU.
It would still be ok for the most part. GPU prices are more expensive right now and would be more of a concern given limited availability. You can always swap out the GPU in the future.

Most people are willing to run low tiered GPUs just to carry them 1-2 years until GPU prices become better, even if it means a possible bottleneck.

Intel 12th gen looks good, based on performance. The top models do beat the Ryzen 5000 series in single core performance, which translates to higher FPS in gaming.

I have enough money to get a 12600k but I don't want to waste it.
I'd say you'd might waste even more money if you attempt to buy a high tiered GPU and then GPU prices come crashing once everything normalizes.

On a side note:
There's also a rumor Nvidia will release a RTX 3070 Ti that has 16GB of VRAM, to be announced on December 17 this year.

Solution