[SOLVED] Should I upgrade to RTX 3080?

I'm just not sure. I play a lot of AAA titles and I play at 4K.

The rest of my hardware is definitely ready for the upgrade. I bought a brand new EVGA 850 G+ for my computer. Still haven't put it in yet.

I'm running 64GB of 3200MHz RAM, on an X570 motherboard with a Ryzen 9 3900x. My graphics card is RTX 2080 Super.

I don't mind playing as low as medium settings and dropping to 1440p is OK but I prefer 4K or a custom 16:9 resolution as near to 4K as possible.

I want to play Cyberpunk 2077 when it comes out. Every game I have with the exception of MS flight sim 2020 plays at or around my monitor's 60hz refresh rate. I mean it runs at 60fps.

I think the main thing here is I don't mind lowering my settings. I think I'd be ok for another couple years on the RTX 2080 Super. It's probably at least very close to what will be in the Series X.

Oh and I forgot to mention... I don't care a lot about ray tracing but I'll use it when I can.

Solution
Hold off for independent reviews. Let's see how the performance actually looks.

If you're the kind of person who wants to be on the bleeding edge, then the 3080 will be the only option that's somewhat reasonable for a while.

If the 3070 is supposed to be "faster than a 2080TI" and the 3080 is a decent margin faster than that, then it's probably not too terrible of an upgrade. From what you're describing though, the 2080Super should hold it's own for what you do (4K / 60Hz) in the majority of situations for a while

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Hold off for independent reviews. Let's see how the performance actually looks.

If you're the kind of person who wants to be on the bleeding edge, then the 3080 will be the only option that's somewhat reasonable for a while.

If the 3070 is supposed to be "faster than a 2080TI" and the 3080 is a decent margin faster than that, then it's probably not too terrible of an upgrade. From what you're describing though, the 2080Super should hold it's own for what you do (4K / 60Hz) in the majority of situations for a while

Solution