Should I Upgrade to Ryzen 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

psg1john

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
10-15% better in FPS in games at same clock speeds Then Ryzen 1 after that with 1000mhz clock speed boost over Ryzen 1

So it slightly faster then Ryzen 1 good buy if you didn't upgrade yet... im waiting 2 more months before I upgrade my 4870k system lol

A Stoner

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
Until I can get a good deal on a graphics card it seems kind of pointless to be upgrading my PC. I have a 980X 6 core that runs at 4ghz. Definitely been wanting to upgrade for a year or so now, but until the crypto lunacy ends or I can snag a card at retail even with it going on, I will sit on the sidelines.

mihen

Honorable
Oct 11, 2017
Always best to wait for the early adopters to work out the kinks. Looks good even if you are coming off a Ryzen 1 system. Price is fantastic, performance increase is there, no need to delid.

Kirk1975

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016
I’m still sporting an Intel core i7-6850K overclocked to 4.2 ghz on water. It still does everything I ask of it. If 10 core multithreaded processors break out of the HEDT, and into the mainstream, I will most definitely upgrade. Another thing that might make consider upgrading is if per core performance drastically increases.

Seeing as Zen+ hangs pretty evenly with Kaby Lake, and sometimes trades blows with Coffee Lake i5’s, I’m not inclined to upgrade. At stock clocks there is sometimes a 15% difference in performance between my 6850K and the 8700K. However the 8700K lacks the PCIE lanes that my 6850K brings to the table.

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
I would say upgrade if you can a nice price for your "old" Ryzen.

The new ones consumes less with more cpu power and also perform better, if you wanna go to a 1070ti/1080ti the "ipc jump" from lower cache latencies and better boost will help.

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
@ONEBLACKENED
You'll switch to a more lasting platform (new cpu's till 2020 and possible 16core Ryzen 7 in 2020 for the same AM4 socket)

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
If you have an i5-6600 or lower, any i3 or Pentium, or any AMD before Zen, then yes.

If you have an i5-8xxx, any i7, or Zen 1, and you only play games, then no.

If you do threaded work, consult benchmarks for your use case.

Giroro

Splendid
I have a Core i5-4670K @ 4.3GHz for 1080 144Hz with a GTX 1080.
I want to upgrade my platform, but it's more about getting nvme storage and giving optane a shot. I don't know how well Optane would work on an AMD platform.

I think I would get improvements in gaming but its difficult to tell how much. It would be kind of interesting to see an "Every K series i5 ever" comparison article so I can actually figure out where I would slot into the recent benchmarks. I don't think Tom's Desktop Processor Hierarchy is very helpful right now considering 5 years worth of mid/high end processors are all grouped into the same tier.

Between some ridiculous pricing and waiting on Intel to put out a hardware fix for Meltdown/Spectre, it seems like one of the worst times to actually upgrade a PC. Still, if Optane works well, and if Ryzen 2600 over clocks to similar levels as 2700x, then Ryzen 2 would be pretty interesting to me.

Chris Fetters

Distinguished
BANNED
Dec 6, 2013
KYOTOKID - Then expect to never upgrade your CPU ever again, because Microsoft is absolutely adamant about any/all new CPU's being Windows 10 only. Intel & AMD have absolutely no choice/say in the matter. If they want their chips to get licensed support from Microsoft in Windows (which is a requirement for any/all new chips as Windows dominates the PC market) they have to accept MS' terms, which are Windows 10 only or GTFO. That being said, using Ryzen or Intel 7th+ Gen CPU's with Windows 7 is actually reaaaally easy if you have any basic PC know how, so it's really not as big a deal as you're making it out to be.

overclockingrocks

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
Hard to justify upgrading with graphics card prices being off the wall and memory being upside down. Up here in Canada a basic Ryzen 3 build with a 1050ti 8 GB of RAM and a decent MB and such is $1000+ If the graphics cards and memory weren't off the wall I'd bet that build would be $700 and then I'd justify the upgrade but when my FX6300 @4.5Ghz with a 4GB RX460 nitro still plays everything it's pointless to upgrade to a new platform with the market the way it is.

mellis

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
I would like to see comparisons to even older Rigs, since the only way to game in 4K is to spend a lot of money. I have a 3930K CPU, 16 gigs of RAM, Samsung SSD, and a 390X GPU. If I am gaming in 1080P, what would be the benefit to upgrade? I also considered looking at an upgrade for the purposed of getting better performance out of HandBrake, but I think it would also be a waste of money at this time.

Kirk1975

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016
@Nintendo, I'm not concerned with power draw, if I were, I would have undervolted and downclocked the cpu.

@Mellis, 4K gaming is awesome, but you have to drop a lot of coin. Then once you return to do something productivity related in windows, you'd wished you had stopped at 2k. For some reason 4K and Windows doesn’t play very nice together. It can be done, but expect a lot of fiddling with windows settings. As for handbrake if you can get a higher overclock out of your cpu it would help, unfortunately handbreak saturates at 6 cores. So a i5 8600k is probably the fastest that you could get for handbreak.

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
I just upgraded from a 1700X to a 2700X. With stock clocks, under a full load, the 2700X clock speeds are 500Mhz faster than with my 1700X. And DDR4 memory speed was able to be increased from 2933 to 3200Mhz using 4 x 8GB DDR4 modules. Both of these improvements made the upgrade worth it to me. Turn on Gaming Mode through the use of AMD Ryzen Master Utility and CPU clock speeds increase dynamically up to 4.3Ghz! Needless to say, AMD has outdone themselves this time. I'm very happy with my decision to upgrade :D

mihen

Honorable
Oct 11, 2017
I'll be upgrading from the 1700x to the 2700x as well. It's not a bad processor, but the memory support isn't there. The Ryzen processors are very dependent on memory speed.

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007

I'll have to get back to you with regards to score comparisons. I didn't keep records of all my 1700X gaming benchmarks. The only ones I have on hand are the Unigine Heaven and 3DMark scores. The 2700X of course scored higher in all areas. Ultimately, I wanted better memory speeds and higher base clocks, especially when all cores are being utilized. I not only game, but also do multitasking such as streaming and multimedia rendering. For me, it was worth the upgrade. I am not going to tell anyone else what they should do as it's their hard earned money. Some may require a GPU upgrade much more so than a CPU upgrade and I wouldn't argue that that money would probably be better spent for that type of hardware upgrade. However, I have a top end Titan X Pascal card and it's custom watercooled (along with my 2700X), so I chose to upgrade my CPU instead. To each their own. I know what I like and got it ;-)

JimmiG

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
Personally I will probably wait for Zen 2. My 1800X with 3200 C14 RAM is still holding up well and is a good match for my GTX 1070 (non-TI). Hopefully in another 1 - 1.5 years, GPU prices will also have stabilized and new GPUs will have come out, allowing me to upgrade the entire system.

Status
Not open for further replies.