[SOLVED] Should I upgrade to SSD?

icarus2712

Honorable
Jul 6, 2018
https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03846342

That's my ancient laptop. Will upgrading to 240 GB SSD make any Noticeable difference in speeds, browsing (Chrome sucks, Vivaldi is fast-why?), YouTube only 480p etc.( Want 720 at least)
Not into gaming, content creation etc. Just basic use.

So, will the old processor and 4GB DDR on Win 10 home, get a kick with SSD to perform, or it's not worth.

Thanks

Solution

That's my ancient laptop. Will upgrading to 240 GB SSD make any Noticeable difference in speeds, browsing (Chrome sucks, Vivaldi is fast-why?), YouTube only 480p etc.( Want 720 at least)

So, will the old processor and 4GB DDR on Win 10 home, get a kick with SSD to perform, or it's not worth.

Thanks

At this point, with this laptop, upgrading to an SSD will make the most noticeable difference.
Also, you’ll be able to use the SSD later, in your next build.

Lutfij

Titan
The SSD will only aid in your app's opening up faster after the initial click and ofc with bootup times. It will not aid you in getting better quality video(that's the job of the GPU). You will also need to up the ram to have that system have semblance for 2020.

Reactions: icarus2712

icarus2712

Honorable
Jul 6, 2018
The SSD will only aid in your app's opening up faster after the initial click and ofc with bootup times. It will not aid you in getting better quality video(that's the job of the GPU). You will also need to up the ram to have that system have semblance for 2020.

Oh. So I should go in for RAM upgrade rather than SSD, right?

For overall betterness.
Will have to get a 8 GB RAM stick , as there is only one slot. Anyways.

Just a thought, is the CPU upgradable on this device? Can't afford a new laptop. Will have to live with it.

How do I replace the rubber around LCD it's totally melted down over the years.

Any cure for touch screen ghosting? Had to disable human touch from device manager as the mouse kept dancing wildly and jellyfish started to appear on screen every where.

Jul 12, 2020
Your CPU seems the weak point. Your amount of RAM is OK for that CPU.

Many years ago i revived an old 2GB laptop with a SSD. It had a better CPU than yours (core 2duo) but when watching youtube/Netflix and other stuff the CPU was at 100% a lot.

Yes, SSd made this dog usable from HDD, but not great.

Whenever I need to run something modern on an older system, I always have a minimum of 8gb of ram--anything less will lead to issues. For what you want to do, a cpu upgrade is what you really need. Unfortunately, your cpu is soldered in so it can't be upgraded. The best you can do for this system is more ram and an ssd. It will make it faster to use, but will not improve the video issues.

mhtsgr9

Distinguished
May 26, 2012
Going from HDD to SSD will be huge upgrade as it is the only component where you actually feel how snappy everything becomes.
Short Answer : Yes 100% get a SSD (You can use it in the future when you decide to upgrade your Desktop/laptop )

Going from HDD to SSD will be huge upgrade as it is the only component where you actually feel how snappy everything becomes.
Short Answer : Yes 100% get a SSD (You can use it in the future when you decide to upgrade your Desktop/laptop )
This is absolutely incorrect. A cpu with a faster single thread performance will universally speed things up more than anything else. More ram will also speed up things more--especially when there is a shortage of ram. Too many people think it's the ssd that's improving the speed, but it's only because it swaps faster--the root cause of not having enough ram is still the problem, and more ram will speed up more than an ssd in these cases.

icarus2712

Honorable
Jul 6, 2018
Whenever I need to run something modern on an older system, I always have a minimum of 8gb of ram--anything less will lead to issues. For what you want to do, a cpu upgrade is what you really need. Unfortunately, your cpu is soldered in so it can't be upgraded. The best you can do for this system is more ram and an ssd. It will make it faster to use, but will not improve the video issues.

Oh. By the way why I am being shown below start up Menu everytime I boot.

F1 system information
F2 system diagnosis
F9 boot device options
F10 BIOS setup
F11 system recovery
Enter continue startup

I have to press enter everytime to get into windows welcome screen.

I believe above menu should appear only when ESC key is pressed, and I certainly don't press it. That's weird.

logainofhades

Titan
240gb-500gb drives are pretty cheap these days, and would definitely help load times, and the responsiveness, of your system. Get the largest capacity, that you can afford. Just for general pricing information, for 250gb, 500gb, 1tb, and 2tb class drives.

PCPartPicker Part List

Storage: Silicon Power Ace A55 256 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($26.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Silicon Power A55 512 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($46.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Silicon Power A55 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($87.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Silicon Power A55 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($184.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $346.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-10 17:13 EDT-0400

Oh. By the way why I am being shown below start up Menu everytime I boot.

F1 system information
F2 system diagnosis
F9 boot device options
F10 BIOS setup
F11 system recovery
Enter continue startup

I have to press enter everytime to get into windows welcome screen.

I believe above menu should appear only when ESC key is pressed, and I certainly don't press it. That's weird.
Sounds like the cmos battery is dead. See if this is the case when plugged in or only on battery power. Also, see if your date and time is some weird date/time in the past, like midnight 2000--classic sign of a dead cmos battery.

icarus2712

Honorable
Jul 6, 2018
Sounds like the cmos battery is dead. See if this is the case when plugged in or only on battery power. Also, see if your date and time is some weird date/time in the past, like midnight 2000--classic sign of a dead cmos battery.

Well,. actually my main battery is just at 25% . I do get a battery error

In fact my main battery is at 25 % I get a separate 601 error on boot about that, press enter, then the mentioned start menu appears. This is with battery or battery+adapter attached.

Same with battery removed and directly on adapter. Only difference is that battery error doesn't appear as now it's running on direct power. Have ordered an after market battery .

No weird date. Just a thought, few days back I clean installed, it went back to the original win 8 , few days later I upgraded to win 10 again.
Could this be the reason?

As mentioned, the rubber seal around LCD has chipped away slowly. Any idea how to replace it?

Well,. actually my main battery is just at 25% . I do get a battery error

In fact my main battery is at 25 % I get a separate 601 error on boot about that, press enter, then the mentioned start menu appears. This is with battery or battery+adapter attached.

Same with battery removed and directly on adapter. Only difference is that battery error doesn't appear as now it's running on direct power. Have ordered an after market battery .

No weird date. Just a thought, few days back I clean installed, it went back to the original win 8 , few days later I upgraded to win 10 again.
Could this be the reason?

As mentioned, the rubber seal around LCD has chipped away slowly. Any idea how to replace it?
So the way you know your cmos battery is dead is to plug in the power and run it that way for a bit. Then shut it down and the start again without removing the power plug. This should not have any message except the main battery missing/bad.

After you have done this a few times and get no message other than the main battery. Shut it down and unplug the power. Press the power button a few times when it is unplugged. Then plug in the power and boot it. If you're getting error messages you weren't when you were plugged in, then your cmos battery is dead because it did not keep any of your changes.

Endre

Reputable

Thanks

At this point, with this laptop, upgrading to an SSD will make the most noticeable difference.
Also, you’ll be able to use the SSD later, in your next build.

Solution